Skip navigation

brake upgrade for mk1 convertible

Back to the top

brake upgrade for mk1 convertible

I recently purchased scirocco caliper carriers for 256mm brake upgrade, the seller specified 75mm centre-to-centre for the hub fixing. I thought it should be fine because there are a lot of forum pages on this carrier + 16v 54mm-bore calipers.

Problem = my current calipers have hub fixing separation at 85mm so the carriers I just bought will not fit.

Question =  what brake upgrade  will fit my hub?

Photo of my existing hub fixing;

hub fixing 2.jpg

Back to the top
Thats not really the hub fixing, its the carrier to caliper fixing...

Back to the top
I thought the regular mk1 caliper is secured to the hub, there is no carrier. As far as I know.  

Hence people fit scirocco carriers + 16v calipers.

Back to the top
No the scirocco carriers just allow the fitting of mk2 golf calipers and larger disc..

Back to the top
I know that.

The carrier fits onto the hub.

Then the caliper fits onto the carrier.

However, I think the scirocco carriers will not fit on my MK1 convertible hub because they have ~85mm separation on the fitting. The scirocco carriers have 75mm separation.

Back to the top
Its not 85mm , thats the carrier/caliper fixing as i have said, not the hub fixing which is 75mm ish...

Back to the top
Not holding the tape exactly in the right position and ive started at 20mm not zero but should be able to see on this mk 1 hub the spacing is 75mm.

DSCF2698.JPG

Back to the top
Ahh - fingers crossed. I am due to receive the scirocco carriers and I will keep you posted.

Back to the top

vw_mk1 said

I thought the regular mk1 caliper is secured to the hub, there is no carrier. As far as I know.  

Hence people fit scirocco carriers + 16v calipers.

they do use a carrirer  bolted to the hub then
caliper attached to the carrier

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
I thins upgrade worth doing? I have a set lying around.

If the standard brakes can lock up the wheels, what's the benefit?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top

the_whip said

I thins upgrade worth doing? I have a set lying around.

If the standard brakes can lock up the wheels, what's the benefit?

The benefit is that you have the more efficient 54mm caliper with a larger braking area on the disc so car will stop quicker and lock up less.

Back to the top
How can it stop quicker if the standard ones are already powerful enough to completely stop the wheel from turning?

By the way, as ABF said, OP is measuring the wrong part. Carrier to hub is 75mm.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top

the_whip said

How can it stop quicker if the standard ones are already powerful enough to completely stop the wheel from turning?

By the way, as ABF said, OP is measuring the wrong part. Carrier to hub is 75mm.

I am not an engineer but the bigger ones give you more braking torque and dissipate heat more effectively. Therefore if you have been going through a few roundabouts in a spirited fashion the bigger brakes will stop you more consistently and efficiently.  I have had the dreaded brake fade in some cars and the bigger brakes are definitely better in this regard. Would be interesting to see a comparison test on a real road test as you are probably right that the first few stops may be similar but once heat rises I would expect the bigger brakes to be better?

Back to the top
To reduce brake fade, using Ceramic Pads help a lot.
They also reduce the dust. I have been using Hawk Ceramic pads for years, and I haven't experienced brake fade at all on standard 90 Cabriolets brakes.

Just be thankful you don't have Chryslers 1st generation electronic brakes . Talk about Brake Fade…….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I get that bigger brakes reduce fade by dissipating heat better, but I can't say I've ever felt any fade with mine. Usually pretty obvious.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
good banter this is what makes it a good group

Back to the top
i think it is more complicated than chucking
larger discs and pads and hoping for the best

Back to the top
Gents - I have finished the upgrade, the carriers I bought fitted and it looks neat.

IMG_1441.JPG

Thank you for the banter.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.