Skip navigation

Difficult starting when warm

Back to the top
Hi guys Ive been loving driving my golf but have noticed after driving for some time if i stop driving for 10 minutes then try to start the car it doesnt start straight away and coughs and splutters untill she runs then shes perfect any ideas guys ?

Back to the top
Sounds to me as you have vapor lock issue.  Carbs see it more than CIS or EFI.  

The newer style E-10, E-15 Gas vapor locks easier than the old style unleaded…. and or The really oldie Regular leaded gas.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
any way of fixing this Briano?

Back to the top
If you have a mechanical fuel pump, then you have to heat shield the fuel line where it nears the exhaust.

If yours is an electric pump does it thumb when first starting the car?

As this almost sounds to me as if the bowl isn't filling and is basically empty when you go to start, it could also be a vacuum leak…that when the engine gets hotter it self seals…..

My Father had this happen on a Dodge Omni that he bought, not the VW engine, but Carbed, and after wrapping the fuel lines with rubber hoses and then an over wrap of heavy gauge tin foil…. Presto no more issues….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

If you have a mechanical fuel pump, then you have to heat shield the fuel line where it nears the exhaust.

If yours is an electric pump does it thumb when first starting the car?

As this almost sounds to me as if the bowl isn't filling and is basically empty when you go to start, it could also be a vacuum leak…that when the engine gets hotter it self seals…..

My Father had this happen on a Dodge Omni that he bought, not the VW engine, but Carbed, and after wrapping the fuel lines with rubber hoses and then an over wrap of heavy gauge tin foil…. Presto no more issues….

Thanks briani123 Just to clarify when its hot it runs great when its cold it starts great if i stop and restart within a minute or 2 it starts first time, its only when left for slightly longer that it struggles to start, is there any real fix for this ?

Back to the top
Have i  even got a fuel non return valve, as its a mechanical pump?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.