Skip navigation

Starter motor

Back to the top
Hi guys I have replaced loads of starter motors over the years but my caddy is one I have not seen before.

The bolts go through the starter and through the casing onto the front engine mount. 
Before I undo both do I need to support the engine or will the 3 other mounts hold it all in place ok 

Back to the top
Big block manual? (You have a picture of a cabby….these never had small block engines in the UK).

Its not a "real" engine mount as such, its a torque reaction thing, which means it supports the engine when its running and the power goes on and off etc, but doesn't carry any weight. So its completely safe to unbolt and remove to replace the starter motor.

If its an auto……..its behind the engine (under the exhaust manifold), best of luck changing it unless you have a 2-post lift.

If its a small block……I have no idea where the starter is.

Back to the top

Starter motor

Cheers for that sorry I see a 1.6 carb as small block lol

I presumed big block was 1.8 up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Small blocks behind engine, but not too bad as exhaust is at front on these.

However the one and only one I have removed, for a clutch change on a '81 1100, had a support bracket at the opposite end to the bellhousing covered in oil and gunge that we couldn't see and spent ages trying to withdraw it after we'd removed the couple of obvs bolts that held it on…..

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

wilko13 said

Cheers for that sorry I see a 1.6 carb as small block lol

I presumed big block was 1.8 up

1.5, 1.6, 1.8 are big block
1.1 and 1.3 are small block

Back to the top

Starter motor

Thanks for that will know for future

Back to the top
Let's not mention 1.6 litre small blocks and 1.4 litre big blocks!!!!

Back to the top
Autos are a piece of cake, I can do them in about 45 minutes from start to finish….But then again I have changed about 5 of them….

The secret is…
Remove the right side wheel to give you light.
Remove the 2 rear shield mounts 10mm bolts, then replace the lower one on the starter and just start the bolts it is a y shaped bracket that bolts to the block once you have remove it to get the other bracket free and to get the battery cables off, reattach it to the block, and to the posts.
Remove the Battery feed, and the solenoid wire.
Remove the 3 13mm, the second one on the heat shield you have to use a short socket and a wobble extension.

Last thing you remove is the lower bracket as it is supporting the weight of the thing.  Once you have it out usually towards the axle and down… Going back place it up there and use the lower bracket to support it, way easier….

Granted I usually tape the upper bolt to my socket so it can't fall out, along with about 2 feet of extensions and my short stubby ratchet.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.