Skip navigation

No Claims discount vs no accidents

Back to the top
Hi Guys

I'm just considering my options before I get my car insurance, my problem is I currently don't have a car well technically that is' our family car is registered with my wife I have been a named driver for the past 16 years, I currently have a company car and have had this for 2 years previously to that I had my own car for around six months and before that a company car for several years.

Ive never claimed or ever had an accident' do I have to prove no claims and if so how will I do that?

any advice will be appreciated as always 

Back to the top
You usually have to show your no claims to your new insurance company with a letter from your previous insurance company.

Not sure how it works with a company car unless the insurance was in your name? I've not had a company car…

You are probably best picking up the phone and speaking to which ever company you choose to use as if they can insurance companies will get out of paying up in a claim they will….

I know with owning 2 cars in my name you can only have 1 no claims bonus for 1 car. It's cheaper for me to insure my daily drive Mk1 Golf Gti cabriolet with full no claims than insure my Mk1 Scirocco GLS with a 1.6 carb engine….

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
NCB (no claims bonus); and not having any claims, are 2 different things. Its possible to have NCB but not no claims (because, each claim typically reduces the amount of NCB by 2 years, not completely; or you could have had protected NCB). And its possible to have no claims, but no NCB (ie your situation).

NCB, put simply, is a scheme where you/the insurance company track the number of years you've had insurance without making a claim (which effects it).

Most regular insurers will make some kind of alternate allowance/discount for a driver who didn't accrue NCB due to driving company cars on the company insurance, but its not standardised across the industry.

Price comparison websites ask for a lot of information/data so should be able to compare different insurers to find the best in your circumstances though.

Back to the top
Oh and you can have a claim without an accident; and an accident without a claim - they are different things too!

Back to the top
Having no claims and no accidents trump NCB

When I got my Golf I had to insure it with 0 NCB as it was a 2nd car but being a classic with limited mileage it was still less than half the premium of my daily with 16yrs NCB and is lower value

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Classic car insurance is completely different, I don't think a classic policy even earns NCB and in all the ones I've ever had, they insist that you also own (and insure) another car eg daily driver (so NCB is irrelevant anyway, unless you've run 2 normal cars for a while).

They might take it into account as a factor, but of course claims/accidents/convictions are going to influence the price much more.

Back to the top
Thanks guys really helpfull

Back to the top
Lancaster do give NCB.

I have 3yrs NCB on my golf through Lancaster

Current rides:

1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Seems bonkers so just to clarify as an example only, If I was to sell the car to my wife who has full 19 years no claims bonus and has a car she uses as a daily driver would it be cheaper for me?

Back to the top

okmate said

Seems bonkers so just to clarify as an example only, If I was to sell the car to my wife who has full 19 years no claims bonus and has a car she uses as a daily driver would it be cheaper for me?

You'd need to check with the insurers to be sure! But as I understand it, whichever spouse actually paid for/bought/owns the car, or has the name on the V5, is somewhat irrelevant. It goes by who the main driver is etc.

Back to the top

okmate said

Insurance is bonkers. A while back I saved a few quid adding my wife to my daily driver insurance. I had no accidents/claims, she a had at least one at the time, minor dent etc and it still reduced the £ when you'd think it would increase it. Maddness.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

okmate said

Not necessarily.

As a rule these things are cheap enough to insure anyway your talking pocket change in the difference you'll save by not being legit

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Just to clarify chaps , Ive just insured with footman James for £150 a year, Lancaster insurance wanted way to much,

thanks for all your help
There are too many online users to list.