Skip navigation

Golf Mk1 Cabriolet - Gear Selector Off-Center

Back to the top

Gear stick/selector inside the cabin is off-center

Hi all, this is my first post up on these forums

I bought my Golf Mk1 Cabriolet GTI 1987 in Sept last year and since covered it up. I’ve opened it up this week and hope to start working on it slowly.
I’ve been curious about this - the gear selector stick in the cabin is off center - the stick is further back and left.
I’m wondering if it was factory built like this? I hope to align it to the center but I’ve not found any guides online. I’ve had a quick look at the stick myself but I don’t think anyone has intentionally fitted the selector off center.

Is anyone able to help? I’ll take a picture and add it on here
Thanks 👍🏽

Back to the top
MMMM, Manual or Automatic?  year and Model.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Ahh, forgot the most important details!
Manual gearbox, 1987, Mk1 Cabriolet GTi, DX engine. Gearbox type is rubbed off but I think it’s ACD if that exists?

Back to the top
DB58A6F4-2336-4CF1-AC69-101CD8985EEC.jpeg C02F7D83-B0DC-471C-B7AD-DEF9F2BCC768.jpeg 76BDFC2D-D54C-4EBC-BA01-8123BA9D1101.jpeg 66680081-603D-4355-BF59-BF961F9182FB.jpeg

Some pictures of what I mean

Back to the top
You will have reset the linkage it's not a bad job for couple people put car into neutral and then disconnect linkages under the car you can then mess about until you come to setting a 13mm or 10mm gap. Theres a how to somewhere in technical.. search gear selector

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice, I’ll have a go in this lovely weather!

Back to the top
It my understanding that they were offset like this so there was room for the exhaust underneath.

Back to the top

Steve1973 said

It my understanding that they were offset like this so there was room for the exhaust underneath.

I was underneath the car today - I think you may be right. The main rod between the gearbox/linkages and the gear selector is shaped along to fit alongside the exhaust. I can't see how the gear selector can be centred inside the cabin - oh well!

Back to the top

jevanbh1 said

Steve1973 said

I was underneath the car today - I think you may be right. The main rod between the gearbox/linkages and the gear selector is shaped along to fit alongside the exhaust. I can't see how the gear selector can be centred inside the cabin - oh well!

Eh? The gear stick should be nice and central. Sitting between 1st and third when out of gear.  If not then the 6 mk1s on my drive are all fxxked. Add to that the other 5 vw models.. read the how to..and enjoy the crawling about under The car .

Gear Linkage Change (Page 1) - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

On the drive

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

jevanbh1 said

Steve1973 said

Eh? The gear stick should be nice and central. Sitting between 1st and third when out of gear.  If not then the 6 mk1s on my drive are all fxxked. Add to that the other 5 vw models.. read the how to..and enjoy the crawling about under The car .

Well in all fairness, I have an automatic. So in this case I will bow to your superiority.

Back to the top

Steve1973 said

Kenneth Cartwright said

jevanbh1 said

Steve1973 said

Well in all fairness, I have an automatic. So in this case I will bow to your superiority.

Haha superiority not at all ..just some idiot whom thought buying cars with overtime money was better than pxxxing it up wall like I used to..  never had a automatic in old car.  First autobox I had was in a 1998 plate 406 coupe v6… never had issue with it did 1 oil change..then next was in my 330bmw 2013  again no issues at all so never even looked at changing oil.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392732671404

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192457669910

Have used part set from each of above links.. sometimes even changing a couple of parts whilst messing about helps improve feel and selection. Pity cant supply the 2nd person to help,rather than going in out of car to keep checking..but can be done and no rush. Did same on my t25 camper at xmas, gear selections was hitting dash until I shortened the linkages

On the drive

Back to the top
Hi, sorry I definitely wasn't clear in my posts. Newbie and all!

I understand that the gear linkages and the selector lever can be adjusted and I have started this by following the technical guide.
I originally meant the Bearing Assembly part which holds the gear selector in place in the cabin - my fourth picture/part number 171711247. I didn't understand why it's offset in the cabin but looking at the whole system, I think Steve1973 is right, it seems like this was the design.

Back to the top
DE98A956-A536-5DE4-C6D91DD49E54069A.jpg Lol

On the drive

Back to the top
Lol lol posting..

On the drive

Back to the top
Maybe it's been redrilled but my cars are as old and same dx engine. Pull the plate up and have a look maybe previously remove and placed there for mr tickle..

On the drive

Back to the top
hi did you message me on eBay mate

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.