Skip navigation

Mk1 cabby - NSR wheel tucks in further than OSR

Back to the top
Hi all

Got 7j porsche cookie cutters on my mk1 cab. I have an issue in that the drivers rear wheel pokes out further than the passenger.

I've checked the wheels individually and all carry same part number and all stamped 7j

As far as I know 7j cookies only came in one offset et23 so ruled this out (unless anyone knows different regards offsets)

Checked adapters and all same width

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Cheers

Last edit: by Richarddarrenb

Back to the top
Not the best pic but you can kinda see the right side wheel poking further here

Back to the top
20191014_091122.jpg

Back to the top
silly question but, did you check 4 tyres/wheels are the same not a mixed set of staggeered? 7 front 7.5 rear or something daft like that? big german cars tend to have wider rears,  and the sets ive had came mixed.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Hi

I've assumed from identical part numbers that they are the same but it would be an obvious answer to the issue. Im having 2 new rear tyres fitted today so will fit them back on the other way and see what they look like.

Back to the top
The one picture looks as if there is a bent axle or axle stub as the camber on the rear looks way-out.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Possibly just the angle of the pic as it certainly doesnt drive like anything bent, I did manage to bend a stub axle on an old mk2 doing handbrake turns in the snow when I was a young fool and it crabbed up the road and its defo not doing that....

Back to the top
I'd try some other wheels on it personally.

From that photo the inside of the wheel looks further out than the other, it's highly unlikely that both the rear axle has been offset by accident damage at exactly the same amount as the front end so swap the wheels around

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Still at a loss with this - assume that the front can be fixed via the camber adjust bolt (will get to that some time) but the back pass wheel still sticks in a helluva way.

Tried all 4 wheels in turn and each one sits the same so it's not the wheels… spacers are the same thickness also. It drives straight so nothing bent.

Anything else I can check?

Cheers

Back to the top
Could be the beam is offset.

If it's been off and the previous owner didn't realise it needs to be centered then it ca lead to the issue you have.

Get under it and have a measure.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Hi Ian

I think you are right, when I get a dry day I'll get it up on axle stands and start measuring points of ref.

I'm guessing there is an element of left to right movement in it -  no experience of how the beams mount however had a few MK2 beams of and from memory they bolt into the body with a plate  with 4 bolts on each side?

Back to the top
There is some movement in the mounting plates to the body at the front of the beam. The brackets are slotted so it gives a bit of left and right movement.

Make sure you soak the nuts in penetrating fluid and use an impact gun if you have one to undo them. If not be careful as they can shear and then you're in a world of pain.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Cheers

I wonder just how much movement is available as the wheel tucks in quite a distance… I have a blow lamp and impact wrench so will have them on standby.

Do you know if there are differences in drum thickness? Long shot but if so, maybe it's got mismatched ones on it?

Back to the top
Could be, or indeed length of stub axles? Or someone may have fitted a spacer behind one stub axle? I know we've done that on one car (we did both side though) to push the rear wheels out a bit.

Could be anything TBH

Good luck measuring and checking!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Hi Ian, thanks for the suggestion!

Stub axle length or spacing occured to me also. I'm going to measure the mounting points to a point towards the outside of the car and if they match both sides I can assume the beam mounting is ok, then I'll measure the arms to a point also. If they look ok I'll have to strip the drums out and investigate further.

Back to the top
So today I got the old girl up on axle stands and got my tape measure out. Here are my findings:

20200504_150133.jpg 20200504_150147.jpg 20200504_150207.jpg

Back to the top
This measurement from and to the same point on both sides - 100cm (if anyone has a beam off a car or plans to get underneath theirs anytime soon could anyone compare this for me?)

20200504_133852.jpg

Back to the top
This measurement is 15cm on both sides 20200504_134200.jpg

Back to the top
This measurement is 6cm on both sides both top and bottom:

20200504_134556.jpg

Back to the top
This measurement differs side to side - 22.5cm passenger side and 23.2 drivers side:

20200504_135034.jpg 20200504_135302.jpg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.