Skip navigation

20 year old with a Mk1 golf 1.1

Back to the top

looking for any help with getting the cheapest insurance as possible

Hi, I'm 20 years old and i'm looking to insure my Mk1 golf, I Have a daily polo 6n which im insured fully comp on, by the time i am insuring the Mk1 i will have one years no claims however i do have a unsettled claim as a lorry hit me head on in my mk2 polo breadvan and liability hasn't been accepted. anyway im currently paying £1800 on the polo 6n so any saving for the mk1 insurance would be great, I'm also located in northern Ireland; there may be modifications i.e dual carbs, rims, suspension, upgraded breaks and stuff, so would classic insurance be an option or? any help would be greatly appreciated
Kieran

Back to the top
Good luck but classic car ins don't like youngsters and don't count NCD, that stops with your daily driver. Non classic insurancers don't like youngsters or old cars, no air bags, no ABS,  poor crumple zones etc so they add £ to ins, infact I bet most dont even have on a 1100 C on their lookup list). You've had a claim (even if you're not to blame it's still a claim they will hold against you….) and wanting to cover modifications I'd give up now or atleast I would've got a few quotes before getting the car. A new £20,000 car would prob be cheaper for you to insure rather than a £1000 MK1.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I have had a quote for non classic insurance with a tachograph at £800 so im hopefull I may sort something out, guess ill just have to be optimistic

Back to the top

kieranwilson99 said

I have had a quote for non classic insurance with a tachograph at £800 so im hopefull I may sort something out, guess ill just have to be optimistic

By tachograph do you mean a blackbox that ins companys  use these days to monitor your driving? If so i doubt that would work on a MK1, it being pre ECU/CANBUS etc

Back to the top
yeah I meant blackbox, they can fit them into any car, just needs electric, but ill be hoping to get classic insurance as im gonna insure my polo 6n as my daily so hope I can get a reasonable classic insurance somewhere

Back to the top

kieranwilson99 said

yeah I meant blackbox, they can fit them into any car, just needs electric, but ill be hoping to get classic insurance as im gonna insure my polo 6n as my daily so hope I can get a reasonable classic insurance somewhere

My mistake, I don't have direct experience, being old enough to have run MK1s has daily drivers when they were still on forecourts of main dealers…..

I assumed that they used readings from engine ECUs as well as GPS signals.

A friend of a friends son had one fitted but drove like a knob and they used the info it provided to revoke his insurance and because of that revocation the next cheapest quote was £5,000+ :0

Be careful out there 

Back to the top
wish I had been around in that era; yeah they just use like gps that's in it, theyre not ideal but I want to drive the mk1 as much as possible, most of them give you warnings if youre driving is bad and you can cancel before they cancel on you and it shouldn't affect future quotes, but yeah the insurance companies are out to catch you!

Back to the top
Hey

Just to give you an idea, I went with Lancaster, i am not old but i am not young either - 35 Years old but i only had my licence for 2 years when i got my MK1 - My daily driver MK7 golf insurance is £530 - My MK1 GTI with Lancaster came in at £150 for the year and that included breakdown and also assured valuation on 4000 miles a year (no commuting) and £100 excess.

I would not touch one of those insurance GPS trackers with a barge pole!

signature.jpg

Back to the top
Try Hughes Insurance they are located in Newtownards and Ballynahinch. My daughter had her beetle insured with them when she was 18, they may not be the cheapest but they are local.

As for classic insurance for a second car i think there is an age restriction as she could not get classic insurance for a second car until she was around 24. I may be wrong on this though?

Back to the top

andyphill said

Try Hughes Insurance they are located in Newtownards and Ballynahinch. My daughter had her beetle insured with them when she was 18, they may not be the cheapest but they are local.

As for classic insurance for a second car i think there is an age restriction as she could not get classic insurance for a second car until she was around 24. I may be wrong on this though?

thanks for the reply i'll give them a shout; got a quote there for standard fully comp insurance with 10,000 miles for £1200. My insrance on my 1999 polo 6N for last year was £1800 but that was my first year if driving and I had a non fault claim that hadn't been settled and was being treated as 'fault claim/liability not acceped' so it looks like I may not have to go down the classic insurance route. I know that almost all of them need you to have a main car as well as the classic but a few of them allow anyone over the age of 20 with a years no claims to insure as a classic as long as they have a daily driver under an other policy

Back to the top

20 year old with a Mk1 golf 1.1

My cabby is insured with A plan classic and vintage car insurance and they insure people from the age of 17 asking as it’s a second car. Mine is a gti and cost £125 a year worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
A lot of classic car policy's don't have a no claim bonus scheme and you can only use your no claims bonus on your daily car.
It's cheaper for me to insure my 1988 Mk1 Golf Gti cabriolet (daily drive with full no claims) than my 1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS and that a 1.6 carb on a classic car policy with no, no claims and I've had the classic policy for 10 years….

Good luck finding insurance and it should go down more when you get to 21.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.