Skip navigation

Gearbox cup removal

Back to the top
Hi all, I have a 1991 golf gti cabriolet and want to know how i can remove the gearbox cups which attach to driveshaft? Any info and advise is much appreciated.

Back to the top

Gearbox cup removal

Is it the eight or so bolts  on the c.v joint? Or the actual cup that’s  bolted to the gearbox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Its the actual cups that are on the gearbox.

Back to the top

Gearbox cup removal

Ok there’s an Allen head bolt in the center as far as I can remember, you might need a puller too

Back to the top

Gearbox cup removal

Is there an image, of it i can have a look at

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Gearbox cup removal

I don’t have one I’m afraid

Back to the top

Gearbox cup removal

Not sure but these might help, from MK1 and MK2 Haynes manuals

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

signature.jpg

Back to the top

Gearbox cup removal

Thanks very much for all your help guys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
If it's anything like the ones I've done (to replace oil seals) you don't need a puller… theres big FO spring that flings the cup towards your head has you remove the retaining circlip which is hidden under a plastic/rubber seal in the centre of the cup. Removing is easy compared to replaceing. See the brokevw gearbox site for diy ideas

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
In the archive section below how to's see: (briano's diy for 90ish cabbies).
Click the link in my signature, there are about 4-5 pages of them and it is under the transmission section.

There is a link to this thread on how I dod it on the car.
https://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/32196-Changing-a-Differential-Seal

It has pretty pictures.

If the drive shaft broke and beat the hades out of the shaft, you will have a real fun time trying to get the clip off, I know I did.  The sad part is that the peaned shaft broke the final drive race and ruined the diff on my TJ 010…. (REALLY ONE OF THE BETTER AUTOS FOR THE 1.8)…

If I would of caught it in time I would of billed the re-man (cardone) for the cost of the new tranny or rebuild of the diff.
One cardone shaft lasted 7 days and broke on the wheel side, the other broke on the inboard cup side and ruined the tranny….In the thread above you can see the peaning marks on the diff shaft as itty-bitty dimples….. that shaft had one been on for about 2 hours prior to breaking.  End result is that I have a local re-builder that warranties his work and I can get the shafts rebuilt in about 30 minutes…. He does a Fantastic job….and it is only about 50 bucks to have them rebooted, rebuilt and I don't have greasy anything… :) 

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
very confusing inner c/v joint removal
or  differential cups which the c/v joint
attaches to ?

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
cups on the box you dig out plastic cap in the middle, then remove circlip. refitting can be tricky if its later design transmission with the springs inside to reduce transmission noise, some kind of squishing device such as a wide jaw G clamp can be handy to hold them in while you refit circlip

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.