Skip navigation

Exhaust manifold question

Back to the top
Hi there

1991 1.8 carb cabriolet. 

The toilet bowl manifold is knackered and so I need to replace it with something a bit better. 

I'm assuming the mk1 GTI had a better manifold?

Or will the mk2 one with the dual downpipe fit?

Thanks everyone
Andy

Back to the top
rubjonny I'm sure you once said to me years ago something about replacing the toilet bowl manifold 

Back to the top

Exhaust manifold question

Hi mate ive a 1990 mk1 golf cabriolet carb version, i replaced my cast iron manifold with a stainless one from germany, wasent too dear bought it of ebay quality has been very good never given me any trouble, and more low down power from it

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back to the top
yep look for the nicer 4-2-1 system with the 6 stud fixing between manifold and downpipe from mk1/cab/rocco gti :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
rubjonny thanks for that! Does the mk2 gti version for? Thanks. Andy 

Back to the top
no you cant use the mk2 ones they're a different shape

Back to the top
Is there any special tool you can buy to remove the studs and nuts on a gti exhaust manifold

Back to the top
studs can get stud remover tools or you lock 2 nuts together and use them to unwind them. the main downpipe ones can be well stuck so unless they're snapped try to leave in just run a die up them to clean up the threads

Back to the top
Sorry to be a pain, do you know what the tool is called please, so in the future I can order one

Back to the top
just called a stud remover, usually you get them in a set for various stud sizes. just make sure the set you have has one large enough for the downpipe studs :)

Back to the top
Thank you so much for your time, it's much appreciated rubjonny

Back to the top
I have found that over the years removing rusticated studs can be irksome.
Some can be removed with heat
Some snap and have to be drilled out, with heat applied first then Penetrate oil.  If you are on the bottom looking to the manifold as in under the car, left handed drill bits and a reversible drill work well.

What I have done to my 90's 1.8 Digifants are the following to replace the Crappier Cracked manifolds that were cost reduced engineered.  

Pacesetter Header, that had to be modified to clear the sway bar. (heat and a large pipe to move it.)

A g60 Manifold that was 4-2, and a dual down pipe from tttuning, Pricey, then I salvaged a g60 manifold and dual down pipe from the breakers, and modified it to be a 4-2-1 worked well.

cracked single pipe manifold.

The newer down pipes had to have a bung welded to the right side to insert the o2 sender, whos wires had to be extended.

g60 salvage with what I cut out from a newer golf..

remade and repurposed with my crappy welds to mock up

The Raceland SS header was going to go on my blue one after it's 25 years were met as I could remove the Catalytic pervertor could be removed….

. it still would need the bung moved, and to be honest moving it to the right side made it a lot easier to change when bad.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thank you so much for your time and knowledge, it's been so helpful. I can't tell you how it's helped
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.