Skip navigation

30 years of electrical bodge

Back to the top
Hi Guys whilst looking at the heater switch i decided to take a look behind the switch, i took the radio out to have a better look at seen this. yet more wiring to sort out.

if you have an idea on how to tackle this please hola, as i really dont fancy trolling through countless wiring diagrams.

if you have a layout of my fuse box that would be super as i dont know what fuses are what at present.

IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0594.JPG IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0596.JPG

Back to the top
Mk1s had minimal radio wiring from factory so the chocolate block wiring to the modern ISO plugs looks ok, the only alternative is to solder and heat shrink.

The black/whites are the speakers, I'd follow the power (constant and switched) and earth/s and solder new conections or run new wires to pickup from the fuse box.

Theres a recent thread about radio wiring that has input from rubjonny that has the fuse box locations.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
So having identifies the radio loom of sorts , the wiring to the right is extremely dodgy, have a look at the pictures can you identify any of the wires that arent  connected to anything, the yellow circle highlights the cables for the rear screen heater 'these dont look original, do they look correct?

IMG_111.jpg  

Back to the top
No that isn't correct, but the original Defroster connector  can get toasted or burned 4 pins, 2 for the switch and 2 for a lamp that were tiny.  

Crimps will work.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks Brian i will have to try and find a wiring diagram for this is there a test you can do ? to identify if the rear demister is working. resistance across the terminals maybe

Back to the top
Yes you can do a test between the left and right side of the demister grid, there is also a test of the individual grid strikes as outlined in the Bentley or haynes.

I have repaired the Demister grids that has broken runs with conductive Copper Paint….. and Conductive paint pens.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Yes you can do a test between the left and right side of the demister grid, there is also a test of the individual grid strikes as outlined in the Bentley or haynes.

I have repaired the Demister grids that has broken runs with conductive Copper Paint….. and Conductive paint pens.

Thanks pal , whilst doing the heater i found the spade earths, so may re run some decent gauge cable, i could see the old cable albeit toasted so figure theyve replaced at a later date

Back to the top
whilst looking in the radio area i Noticed around 5 wires that had black tape around them, typical where will this stop any ideas chaps

IMG_0633.JPG

Back to the top
those are the original speaker wires. if you find the speakers you'll find the other ends to help you ID which is which

for the main dash harness have a look in my signature link 'jetta89.pdf' its close enough for your needs, also check my fusebox FAQ:
https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

those are the original speaker wires. if you find the speakers you'll find the other ends to help you ID which is which

for the main dash harness have a look in my signature link 'jetta89.pdf' its close enough for your needs, also check my fusebox FAQ:
https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

Thats a massive help pal dont suppose you have a diagram for all the dash switches?

Back to the top
psst, it is in the Bentley or the haynes for your model and year specific.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
dash switches are covered in the jetta89.pdf, mk1 and mk2 use the same switch pin numbers :)

the headlight switch is a bit different to what you have but enough of it is covered to get you through. If you haven't got a brown haynes yet though be sure to get one, its very good. Make sure its the later revision which mentions cabrio and scirocco on the cover.

a bentley is almost as good, what it does cover is as good as the haynes its just its not quite as good for euro models. for example non of the 1.0-1.6 engiens are covered, and nothing in there on the carbs. The wiring diagrams are great, but again euro specific stuff will be missing. The dash wiring sections are all good though ;)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

dash switches are covered in the jetta89.pdf, mk1 and mk2 use the same switch pin numbers :)

the headlight switch is a bit different to what you have but enough of it is covered to get you through. If you haven't got a brown haynes yet though be sure to get one, its very good. Make sure its the later revision which mentions cabrio and scirocco on the cover.

a bentley is almost as good, what it does cover is as good as the haynes its just its not quite as good for euro models. for example non of the 1.0-1.6 engiens are covered, and nothing in there on the carbs. The wiring diagrams are great, but again euro specific stuff will be missing. The dash wiring sections are all good though ;)

I will affirm, and say that for 20 years all I had was a Haynes to keep my 81 Westy rabbit running.  

A few years later after owning a 89-90ish- Cabriolet the
Bentley had a better layout, but as I see from this forum it was a little lacking on the Euro Versions of things that we in the US had.  

I will also state that the Haynes that I have for the 80-90 Gassers has better quality electrical pages than the Bentley.  

Both are lacking in some areas, as in body, and how some a/c systems work, as well as you have to shuffle between regular Cabriolet or Diesel schematics to the specfic ones for power windows, heating when you have a/c, and such.   

What I really enjoyed seeing was a 1980 and earlier Gasser version of the Bentley, that had Colored Wiring pages…. Picked it up for 1 buck at a Yard sale.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks Guys so its the brown haynes for my 89 gold cabriolet ? just seen theres several brown Hmmm

Back to the top

Back to the top
More likely to find a Haynes over here, since Bentley is an American thing. That's the best version of the Haynes yep :)

In a nutshell usually if you have a us car, buy a Bentley and if European Haynes. There is a lot of overlap between them but the Bentley covers us specifics better and Haynes euro specifics better.

I have both, and for most things either is brilliant. But if you want help with a 2e2 carb the Haynes is the manual to have and if you have an American Aircon system to fix then it's the Bentley you really need :p

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.