Skip navigation

Roof repair panel?

Back to the top
So, i've wanted a mk1 jetta for a while and one came up which wasn't completely rotten with some great history and some really great/rare parts included considering the reasonable price. The only (considerably big) issue is that the roof has had a large section removed for a ragtop sunroof, I know some people are really keen on these however Its not to my taste and so I'm looking for some ideas/solutions to change this.

Has anybody any experience replacing a roof panel? What is the best way to do this?

Have had suggestions to use a carbon fibre roof skin, not keen on this as would like to have as close to as an original roof look as possible - with matching colour to the rest of the shell

Have also read that welding should be out of the question as it will warp the roof, so what kind of things are available in terms of bonding something in place?

Thanks 

Back to the top
didnt get much in response, so took a plunge and began cutting! see pics below. excuse the messy cuts, had a disk which was far to thick and i was taking the skin out chunk by chunk as I was unsure what was underneath!

b0fe3ed3-3c6d-45ac-928f-8faa45fc59ac.jpg 1e8f353e-e486-4c65-86f1-52f25692022e.jpg 8aaa2080-9423-4d20-a418-b9d01980b87a.jpg

So I am attacking it as follows:

i am going to leave the gutters intact, i've cut comfortably close to the gutters and going to grind/dremel neatly and close as possible to the gutters leaving a small edge for the new skin to sit on top of

I will be drilling spot welds out from the front and rear windscreen, it looks like the rear has a brazed joint (pictured) which I guess I will grind away? (anyone have a better way to get rid?) and will measure a neat square and cut at the top of the A pillar

The crossmembers were cut by the previous owner and so will be re-welding these in

Will bond the roof to the crossmembers and re-spot weld the original locations at the top of the front and rear screen, I guess seam weld the A and C pillar?

now I am still a bit baffled about how i will weld the inner edge of the gutters, as a seam will without a doubt warm the thin roof, would love some thoughts on best way to do this if anybody is a body repair magician

Back to the top
YOU COULD TRY OLY MOSS ON FACE BOOK IM 99% CERTAIN HE'S GOT A JETTA HE'S BREAKING THIS WEEK.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/230413406976974/

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

YOU COULD TRY OLY MOSS ON FACE BOOK IM 99% CERTAIN HE'S GOT A JETTA HE'S BREAKING THIS WEEK.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/230413406976974/

Already have sourced a full roof chop, rust free no damage and came with half of the pillars and paid basically peanuts for it, also have olly on facebook but thank you though man,
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.