Skip navigation

2.0L 8v conversion.. wiring help please

Back to the top
Im currently fitting a PB Engine with a 2.0 AGG bottom end… im after any info / diagrams to wire it up to a colf C 1.1 carb..

Thanks in advance

Back to the top
what fusebox have you got in the mk1, and what loom if any is included with the pb

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Hi, i have a kit car fuse box for the build and have full pb engine loom   plus the factory mk1 fuse box.

Back to the top
which mk1 fusebox is it you have, the earlier ceramic type or later CE1 blade fusebox? pics of both in here, ce1 at the top and ceramic fusebox a bit further down:
https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

if the mk1 main engine loom is in good condition you can keep that, and just drop the pb ecu loom on top. it only needs 3-4 wires running to the fusebox to power it all up, very simple

Back to the top
its an 1982 with what looks like a ceramic fuse with the fuse wire over the top of the fuse bullet….. 15 fuses in a row….

oh really literally that easy?

are you able to run me through what wires go where… can you message me on Facebook?  

Back to the top
ok with that I would recommend you mount the fuel and ecu relays above the fusebox, you can use standard 4 terminal switched relays i.e. VW 53.

If the MK2 loom is CE1 fusebox you'll have a pair of 2 pin spade plugs near the ECU, or if its CE2 a single 5 pin. These are the only wires you need to mess with to get the ECU going :)

black/yellow - ecu relay power
red/yellow - fuel relay trigger
red/green - starter cranking live
red/black - injector power (90spec only, CE1 ecu and injectors fed off same wire)
red/white - lambda heater power (90spec only, and unused so can ignore)

ECU relay:
30 - permanent live - H spade
85 - earth - to claw above fusebox
86 - ignition live G spade 3
87 - to ECU black/yellow

Fuel relay:
30 - permanent live - H spade
85 - trigger - ecu red/yellow wire
86 - ignition live G spade 3
87 - to fuel pump and injector power if CE2

ECU relay isnt fused on VW looms but feel free to add one inline with the 30 or 87 pin. Fuel relay I would fuse the fuel pump wire at least, injector power isnt fused but again since adding a fuse may as well do both.

then its just a case of adapting a couple wires on the MK1 engine loom to suit the PB engine. yellow/red with a spade is dash temp, if its later PB splice a 2 pin plug on and it goes to the 2 pin black on front flange, earth the 2nd pin. if its an early one they have alloy flanges and a single spade dash temp so mk1 wire pops straight on.

if you have points ignition in the mk1 now you'll probably need to change the coil power, usually they have a purple/white resistance wire which is no good remove this and replace with fresh. if its a black wire then you're all good pop straight to coil live and jobs a goodun.

on that note you'll want to change the coil for a mk2 golf one so mk2 plug leads will fit, the early ones even if electronic dont take the same plug lead fitting. if the mk1 has electronic ignition then your old spark module can stay, or you can use the mk2 one whatevs.

Back to the top
wow thats great info,thanks!    

I happen to have a few other questions if you happen to know the answers?

1. What vehicle should i get engine / gearbox mounts from?
2. What accelerator cable do i use?
3. Does the mk1 speedo cable fit the mk2 box?
4. What stainless exhaust manifold should i use, as im using an Agg "2.0l Block.?
5.  Will i need to change steering rack?
6.. Is it correct i will need a mk1 cab 1.8 gear selector and all linkages?
7. Axels 90mm or 100mm depending on box (are these from a cab also?

anything else i need to change?

Thanks in Advance,.

Back to the top
1. 1.5-1.8 mk1/cabrio/Rocco manual 5 speed
2. MK2 GTI/16v
3. No you need a MK1 1.5-1.8 manual matched to age of clocks
4. Use standard.mk1 GTI parts front to back, try to get a standard 4-2-1 manifold and downpipe with the 6 stud fixing between
5. Yep
6. 1.5-1.8 manual 5 speed
7. As above, if you need 100mm needs to be 84 on cab/Rocco with injection

You'll also need to chop the driver side engine bracket off the chassis leg and reweld.it on the other way up a bit further up, lots.of threads about that :)

Back to the top
Thanks alot! ………, Im guessing you've done this conversion before.  Is there anything else iv not mentioned that i will need to address?   

Fueling?
mk2 gti fuel pump/housing, is that to be mounted next to the tank,  or would you recommend a fuel pump?… and wiring to that.

Back to the top
almost but not quite :lol: I built up a mk1 cabrio 16v from a rolling shell and various boxes of bits :)

fueling wise I would find a post-84 cabrio/scirocco injection lifter pump in the tank. hook it up to a swirl pot, mk3 gti fuel filter and mk1 gti fuel pump under the car using factory brackets if possible.  M2f polo (g40 shape) use the same lifter pump and swirl pot, or you could go for aftermarket pot if you can find one thats a reasonable size.

fuel lines try mk2/3 golf or 6n polo plastic lines, new quality rubber fuel hoses. the mk1 fuel pump repalce the non-return valve in the end with an m12x1.5 to 7/8mm barbed banjo adaptor

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.