Skip navigation

Cabriolet Alarm Advice

Back to the top
Hey All

I just got a Toad AI606 to fit over the weekend.

As its going in a cabriolet i would want to be able to arm it with the roof down ideally as i often pull up at a cafe for a brew and dont want to go to all the effort of messing about with the roof if its a reasonably safe location.

with this in mind where would you advice locating the ultrasonic detectors, and is it worth getting the dual zone microwave add on? has anyone fitted one?

any advice welcomed
 :lol:

signature.jpg

Back to the top

squideatingdough said

with this in mind where would you advice locating the ultrasonic detectors, and is it worth getting the dual zone microwave add on? has anyone fitted one?

any advice welcomed
 :lol:

Are you trying to cook a bag of Popcorn for the Thief or wanting to FRY the Thiefs Brain?  

Sorry the Microwave bit struck me as funny….as in Microwave is a smallish thing that I refer to as RADAR beams… :) . (yep used to work on Radar)….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Last edit: by squideatingdough

signature.jpg

Back to the top
Best place to locate them is in the box they came in, along with the alarm itself and then return it to the seller

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

WATERNAIR said

Best place to locate them is in the box they came in, along with the alarm itself and then return it to the seller

😋 What a firm opinion 😄 - Why is that? Can you recommend a different one?

signature.jpg

Back to the top
First alarms only go off after some one has entered your car or stolen it.

Folks can slice tops, to unlock them, or break glass.
and do damage before you can get to them.

I learned at a early age, that verts and locking doors invites damage.

I learned to keep things locked in the glove box or trunk.
I leave the doors unlocked as it usually a good way to keep things from getting broken ripped or destroyed.

I only install cheap aftermarket radios, and leave the keeper clips unkeyed so if they want it they won't destroy the fascia or dash.

If you are worried about it being stolen, you can rewire the fuel pump relay to a different socket, and then place a interrupter switch to it that you have to turn on prior to starting.  No fuel pumps they can't drive off.

Also they make a flashing LED kit that you can place in your rocker switch blanks that "simulate" an alarm, it is cheaper and is just as effective.

These are my opinions….

Most aftermarket alarms that I have seen cause more problems with the electrical system, then the purpose that they are to solve.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Cabriolet Alarm Advice

Big yellow crook lock on the steering wheel. And as Brian says a hidden switch for the fuel pump or low voltage feed to the coil either work well by stopping fuel or spark.  

Just a pain when you forget to turn it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
hey

i am a nervous and suspicious person  :lol:the alarm is for my piece of mind!

Big yellow car lock - got it !  :lol:neon yellow Gearstick / handbrake lock - Got it! :)Clutch Lock - Got it  :thumbs:lockable bollard on drive - installed:oFuel pump relay switch - installed  ;)And i already leave the doors open because like you say its better them having a rummage and finding a glove box with some travel sweets and Allan partridge driving gloves than smashing a window/cutting the hood for the sake of a tin of sweets.

Main reason i want it is like i said for when i pull up and just want to pop in somewhere so i can quickly throw the stoplock on and arm it and enjoy a brew knowing its sort of safe, i mean if someone want to nick a car they will nick it no matter what - and its also to stop people leaning inside if i leave the roof down - thus my reason for the microwave scanner (radar) ;)I saw online just now that said not to bother with the ultrasounds and to fit the microwave instead.(as well as the tilt/bump sensors for anti-towing and all the door and bonnet switches)

signature.jpg

Back to the top

squideatingdough said

WATERNAIR said

😋 What a firm opinion 😄 - Why is that? Can you recommend a different one?

If it goes off when it's supposed to at all it still won't have any attention paid to it,

It will flatten your battery and at some point go wrong and completely immobilise the car when you least want it to.

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Cabriolet Alarm Advice

I've got a cobra immobiliser on my cabby it works great .it was fitted by the previous owner.very robust had no issues at all .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Deano777 said

I've got a cobra immobiliser on my cabby it works great .it was fitted by the previous owner.very robust had no issues at all .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation  :)

signature.jpg

Back to the top
A Crook lock can be used to break your steering lock as you can turn the steering wheel with it on.

If fitting a steering wheel lock get the dislok.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/disklok-High-Security-Steering-Wheel-Lock-small-Collection-Only-North-London/323870404115?hash=item4b682e2e13:g:VI8AAOSwbzpdPXf5

https://www.disklokuk.co.uk/

Another benefit of fitting this type is it keeps your steering wheel cool when it’s hot and sunny. :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Disc lock  lol..  they big and clumsy they rattle when on floor they take all foot space up    you knock hell out everything fitting it
Just go for simply good quality crock lock no you can't turn wheel when fitted they windscreen , seat, door ,.  
One I use sits over in top dash so you only have about 3 Inc movement
Just buy one and a handbrake lock your all sorted

Back to the top
Hey

After fitting and living with for a few weeks for anyone that picks this thread up in a search I would recommend the toad and "microwave" sensor if you have a cabby and want to leave the top down while having the car alarmed

Allows me to park up and leave the top down, when I lock in pet mode it turns off the regular ultrasonic sensors and relies on the shock, microwave and door/bonnet/boot sensors - and as the microwave is 2 stage, if you put your hand over the door it beeps , get any lower than the window and it triggers, 1 week without running and it's not drained the battery and survived two absolute monumental rain storms without triggering (something I worried about with it being a cabby)

I also fitted it with a cheap £10 central locking kit so it locks and un locks doors, linked into headlights via relay so it turns them on for 10 seconds on arming as well as flashing all indicators to show it's armed and illuminate driveway.
Also as it used the interior door light switches (with diode soldered in) it illuminates that on unlocking like modern cars - and if you want (I don't know why you would) you can link it to start the engine from a alarm button without you in the car????

Get the dash off and it's a doddle to fit, the only difficult part is you would normally want to cut into the starter wire to immobilise but he'll it's a thick wire carrying some juice so I left that alone and as I have 2 fuel pumps - the lift and main cutting one of those does nothing as it will still start (on my one at least) so that leaves a few other options or use both immobilisation wires for each fuel pump or double them for the starter but risk blowing the unit - Or go for coil, injectors, ECU etc.

Overall - very good for a cabby in my opinion!
20190812_145401.jpg

20190819_140713.jpg 20190819_114042.jpg

signature.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.