Skip navigation

DASHBOARD SWITCH FOR HYDRAULIC HOOD FOR 1991 CLIPPER

Back to the top
Hi
I'm need to replace the dashboard switch operating the hydraulic hood on my 1991 Clipper - VW Part No 155959855B.
Can anyone help, please?
Cheers

Den

Back to the top

Why do you need to replace it?
If you e got hood issues it may not be the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
 Hi Chortle
Clipper is an off roader since 2007 which I bought several months ago. Working my way through various issues and have recently got it through MOT.
Someone has earlier replaced the hood switch with a Merc rocker switch - I think a window switch. It is wired so as to work constantly - regardless of key in ignition - and is working erratically and basically coming apart.
I want to replace it with an original switch and rejig the wiring to suit.
Hence my request for a proper VW  part.
cheers.
den

Back to the top
Hi Chortle
Forgot to say that I have sorted out the pump and it is operational. Hood working OK but switch needs sorting for the longer term,.
cheers
den

Back to the top

I see
Often folks say it’s switch when it’s things like key in ign.
They try putting the roof up with engine running which it shouldn’t operate it.
The tilt slide Corrado switch off similar year car is the same if you can’t get a cabby one and if you’ve got power windows as factory the switch pin out is exactly the same.

Back to the top
Many thanks Chortle.
I think I might have a better chance going for the Corrado sliding roof switch 357 959 855B as the cabby hood switch seems very scarce - and very expensive.
Just to clear my mind - are you saying that the Cabby factory electric window switch 155 959 855A will do as a replacement for the hood switch 155 959 855B ?
 Another question also please, Chortle:-
I want to replace the present raggedy outer hood cover (black vinyl) with a dark blue mohair type and because I don't rate my ability to do the job myself I am happy to pay for fitting. Snag is that I live in Belfast N. Ireland and it seems that there are not nearly as many options to buy/have fitted at home here. Can you recommend any hood suppliers in GB who might have arrangements with local fitters here?
Just a thought that you might have heard of something to help.
thanks again for your advice.
cheer

Den

Back to the top
Hi Den, is this what you're looking for? P1010763.JPG

Back to the top
It's off a cab but can't remember where or when!! The surround sits in the centre console and the two empty slots are for the electric window switches. It might be different if yours is on the dash? This is the same as on my 1990 Gti Cab.

Back to the top

The switch in the centre console is the power hood switch.
Yes the pin out for OEM power windows is the same.
Just different piccy on the switch.
Yes they are expensive last one I bought for a customer was £40.00
I can dig through my spares box to see what I’ve got.

A few years ago one of the guys came over from NI to the AGM which was at Uttoxetter at the time.
Not far from me.
So he came over to me couple days before the AGM and I fitted him a new hood.
Not sure your side of the world though.

Back to the top
Thanks for your reply Ken.
Your  pic looks very similar to my layout (on centre console - not dashboard as I said). Unfortunately, i bought a Corrado switch on eBay yesterday which I understand is similar to the Cabby switch.
However, if you wish to sell yours I would be interested in buying subject to agreeing a price inc p&p to Belfast.
Always good to have a spare available.
Den

Back to the top
Hi Chortle
Many thanks for all your advice.
I may be in touch about the hood when I get back from holidays, but I now have a few local possibilities to follow up first.
best wishes
Den

Back to the top
SWITCH 5.JPG SWITCH 4.JPG SWITCH 3.JPG SWITCH 2.JPG SWITCH 1.JPG

Back to the top
HI Chortle
Grateful for your advice on which colour wires go to which pins in the new Corrado hood switch.
See the pics which I sent separately due to a glitch in my computer.
The pics show the present Merc switch arrangement whereby the previous owner has joined the Merc switch wiring to the original VW wiring disposing of the VW Flat Contact Housing (FCH) in the process. The result of this is that I will either have to find another FCH or perhaps use slim spade terminals to connect the original wiring to the to the pins in the Corrado switch.
Trouble is I don't know which colour - blue, green red and brown go to which of the 4 pins in the switch (and there is also a 5th original VW wire -light blue/grey - which has been cut and left unused.
I hope that you can make sense of all this and sorry for bothering you again.
cheers
den

Back to the top

The light grey/blue is illumination
Not sure on others I can look tomorrow though.

You’ll probably need a cut off from a donor car and then solder the wires colour accordingly.
Use heat shrink too

Back to the top
Many thanks Chortle.
Please let me know the  wire colours/pins arrangement when you get a chance.  I think I may have sourced a suitable VW Flat Contact Housing, but without attached wires.
Cheers

den

Back to the top

Would of thought it’d be quicker and easier splicing a donor on with wires that way you just need to match the colour of wires.

Back to the top
Hi Chortle
Agreed, I'd much prefer to do it that way, but getting a donor seems as elusive as getting an actual switch at a reasonable price.
I'll try to get a wiring diagram  -or  ask someone in the club to send me a pic of the wiring of their hood switch connector from which I could work it out.
Thanks again

Den
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.