Skip navigation

1.8t engine mount and 16v tensioner

Back to the top
Hello all,Long term reader but first time poster.Been doing research on my mk1 20vt conversion and have a few little questions.From my reading, 16v tensioner is required as the mount fouls with the hydraulic tensioner on the AGU, can anyone point me in the direction of the correct part number or models which the tensioner will be obtainable from? I know it's from a 16v KR engine, however what year mk2 and variant will have the correct tensioner. Trying my hardest to source used parts to save every little bit, failing that will buy new but, is this the correct tensioner? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-Belt-Tensioner-531008310-INA-027109243-051109243-Top-Quality-Replacement-/232417138782On the note of the tensioner, where can I source the correct bolt? will the original tensioner bolt fit? I have also read that an 8mm spacer needs to be placed to ensure the belt is running true, is there anywhere that stocks this spacer (apart from retrofication, who have sold out) or is it a case of just washers/fabing one? First time messing around with timing so doing as much reading and question asking before I c*** it upMy mk1 had a 1.6d in it, so fairly sure it's not a GTI. The offside mount sits on the chassis leg, i've seen on many build threads that the mount needs to be cut out and moved back towards the indented area of the chassis leg near the sus. tower, is this something that definitely needs doing on all mk1 models and 1.8t engine variants? I would lower the engine in and just have a look to see how it lines up, but due to space constraints I have my rolling shell sat in my mates garage which is tight as hell and my engine sat in another mates garage about 4 miles away. Welding in a new front panel, floorpan and a bed over the next few weeks before getting it primed and painted so want to avoid doing the welding, getting it primed and finding the mount needs modifying, has anyone found any way to overcome this? modifying the engine end of the mounts etc.?First conversion i'm undertaking of this magnitude, doing a full restoration and conversion so will be posting plenty. Inspired by a couple of mates, one is in the process of putting the same block in a 1966 beetle another is putting the block into a mk2, and was suprised at the ease of it. Taking plenty of pictures, writing down steps and a costed list of bits along the way so hopefully see a very detailed 1.8t mk1 build thread on the horizon.In the process of making a list of parts, so anybody with any 1.8t conversion bits lying around give me a shout! i'm on the lookout   

Back to the top
Breaking your block of text in to separate paragraphs makes it an easier read.

Hello all,Long term reader but first time poster.

Been doing research on my mk1 20vt conversion and have a few little questions.From my reading.

A 16v tensioner is required as the mount fouls with the hydraulic tensioner on the AGU, can anyone point me in the direction of the correct part number or models which the tensioner will be obtainable from?

I know it's from a 16v KR engine, however what year mk2 and variant will have the correct tensioner. Trying my hardest to source used parts to save every little bit, failing that will buy new but, is this the correct tensioner? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-Belt-Tensioner-531008310-INA-027109243-051109243-Top-Quality-Replacement-/232417138782On the note of the tensioner, where can I source the correct bolt? will the original tensioner bolt fit?

I have also read that an 8mm spacer needs to be placed to ensure the belt is running true, is there anywhere that stocks this spacer (apart from retrofication, who have sold out) or is it a case of just washers/fabing one?

First time messing around with timing so doing as much reading and question asking before I c*** it upMy mk1 had a 1.6d in it, so fairly sure it's not a GTI. The offside mount sits on the chassis leg, i've seen on many build threads that the mount needs to be cut out and moved back towards the indented area of the chassis leg near the sus. tower, is this something that definitely needs doing on all mk1 models and 1.8t engine variants?

Would I lower the engine in and just have a look to see how it lines up, but due to space constraints I have my rolling shell sat in my mates garage which is tight as hell and my engine sat in another mates garage about 4 miles away.

Welding in a new front panel, floorpan and a bed over the next few weeks before getting it primed and painted so want to avoid doing the welding, getting it primed and finding the mount needs modifying, has anyone found any way to overcome this? modifying the engine end of the mounts etc.?

First conversion i'm undertaking of this magnitude, doing a full restoration and conversion so will be posting plenty.

Inspired by a couple of mates, one is in the process of putting the same block in a 1966 beetle another is putting the block into a mk2, and was surprised at the ease of it.

Taking plenty of pictures, writing down steps and a costed list of bits along the way so hopefully see a very detailed 1.8t mk1 build thread on the horizon.In the process of making a list of parts, so anybody with any 1.8t conversion bits lying around give me a shout! i'm on the lookout     

Fixed it for you.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
www.retrofication.co.uk

Check these guys out. You can buy the tensioner, purpose made spacer and bolt for the conversion.

Back to the top
16 V  tensioner with epytec spacer and bolt, then back view of assembled items.
DSCF2157.JPG
DSCF2158.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.