Skip navigation

number 1 relay position 2 in fuse box fast clicking issue 1990 cab carb model

Back to the top

iffy number 1 relay

hi folks can anyone advise,my car is a 90 1.8 cabrio auto with a webber carb fitted and manual choke and recently ive heard the number one relay which is position 2 in the fuse box when the cars warmed up or warming its clicking on and off so fast it almost sounds like its buzzing but isnt its just clicking really fast. took the car out today and ended up pulling the relay out completely ..

.can anyone advise if its even needed as ive got the webber carb fitted .or should i try and get a new relay and fit it back in place i know its the relay for the manifold heater ive read that having a webber its not really needed anyway….any idea what would cause a realy to click very fast anyway ? could it be a dodgy earth wire under the hood or heck even damp from having a leak in the car ….the joys of mk1 golfs

thanks .Stuart

Back to the top
That is the fuel pump relay.
So do you still have both fuel pump and are your Grounds to the frame and to the engine good?

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
its not a fuel pump relay on a CARB model its a manifold heater relay

Back to the top

number 1 relay position 2 in fuse box fast clicking issue 1990 cab carb model

I don't have the wiring diagram to hand, but I would be looking at the part of the loom from the sensor that activates the manifold heater. It could be the sensor itself that's gone kaput.

Do the Weber carbs not need the manifold heater?

If not, then either see if it's got a separate fuse and pull it, so the circuit is isolated or pull the relay.

I'd want to get to the bottom of the problem myself. Just in case you have a lead shorting out or a bad earth.

Find the sensor and test it, then isolate it's feed.

I'm not at home at the moment, but if you get stuck, let me know and I'll check out my wiring when I get home. (Might be a few days - I'm in hospital at the moment:-/)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If you want the PSD Boot Sticker file, it's here: Boot Sticker

Back to the top
thanks buddy ,i found what looks like the wiring to the manifold today ,2 thick wires sure one was redish ...have left the relay off and oddly the cars warming up faster and even odder is now quicker off the lights which is fun and even passed its mot today with out this heater relay installed....for the life of me the car doesnt seem to need it perhaps it will in winter but as the car doesnt really get used in winter its no biggi " i hope " just wonder if others have found this could be a hidden mod to cars running the pierberg to webber conversion....am stilll sure i read the webber doesnt need the pre heat.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.