Skip navigation

Back from the wilderness (hose/line question!)

Back to the top
Hi all,

I am finally back to the Golf after 3 years away (grown up parenty type stuff!!)

I have managed to get it started (with a new battery!) and it started up fairly easily. (1992 Clipper Cab with Pierburg carb).

However the idle seems very low, around 700rpm and is very lumpy.  After a little investigation it seems that the lumpiness is due to a short piece of braided hose (as per the picture) that doesn't seem to connect to anything. Anyone know what it is and what it should connect to (or if it should be blanked??).

Once this is sorted is it likely to sort the idle speed or will i need to adjust it?

Thanks in advance for any answers, was hoping to get it MOT'd this or next week!!

Cheers,

Steve

Back to the top
Follow the hose from the attachment point to the point of origin, a hose that looks like tha tis a Vacuum leak.

Take care to cut it off the check valve as they get brittle and don't take well to manhandling.

I can't help you with where it goes as on my 90's Digifants there is only one Vac line the other is capped and the one vac line goes to the Egg Crate for the Servo's for the HVAC system.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
there is sometimes a diagram of the vac lines on a sticker under the bonnet.

Back to the top
This may help.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
if it was not for the  internet we would
not be here  asking for help people trying
to help with prolems before all this internet
google this google that what would you have
done ???? fix the issue or throw the towel in ?

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
Thanks for the replies, I managed to find a pic of my engine bay (that I took when I had it cleaned!) that shows the tube that was attached to it and exactly where it connects to!

Just got to connect it up and see if it fixes the idle now!

Cheers, Steve

Back to the top

nicci21paul said

if it was not for the  internet we would
not be here  asking for help people trying
to help with prolems before all this internet
google this google that what would you have
done ???? fix the issue or throw the towel in ?

Yes, what did we do before the interweb….Visit Libraries and check out or read manuals or other things, we bought tuner Magazines from newsstands, socially joined clubs and such or walked in to shops and watched them… We didn't have phones or pagers, and I remember using the Shop OEM manuals from BMW (British Motor Works) and Mitchell Manuals to totally disassemble a 58 Bug-eye, and because I didn't have a camera or a phone that took pictures I drew the assembly in detail, and labeled every wire and connector from where it attached to where it went.  At 14 I made new wiring harnesses for the Car down to the Bayonet connectors and added new grounds…I taught myself Electronics and such with books that I bought from Radio Shack, and got my first Triplett Analog meter.

Plus I listened to my elders and watched in awe with them using Fire and Molten lead to make body repairs, and hammering metal with a sandbag prior to the application of lead with wood paddles and beeswax and using files to smooth it to rough shape and then Sanding… Bondo wasn't invented nor Epoxies….dark times….

Yep I was raised in the Dark Ages….by Cavemen… A man cave was the Garage, and Mother didn't venture out there but to Warm the occasional cup of coffee for my father and or bring us a cool drink.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.