Skip navigation

Gap between tyres & suspension

Back to the top
Hi all, I have a H Reg 1.8 GTI, cabriolet, when on the ground, its as if the tyres are catching the front suspension & rear tyres catching the rear springs. I am sure this is not right as there should be some space between them. 195 50 R15 are the tyres I have on the car, but the alloys on it are not original. Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back to the top

Best posting a pic of the wheels and have a look at the rim to see what offset they are .It should be stamped on the wheels et 30 or whatever if there a German wheel. It would probably be worth taking  front and rear wheel off and posting a pic of the shocks and springs.my guess is there’s Coilovers fitted . Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
20180208_143749.jpg

Sounds familiar, coilovers and 195/50 doesnt work.
To be honest I dont think 195/50 works on the mk1 anyway

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Tyre to wide, wheel to big.
spacers will help move the wheel out but to will need to watch the other side…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi all, i know its not got coil overs its just standard suspension. I will need to check the ET on it and get back to you guys.

Back to the top
If its on standard set up the tyre actually sits below the spring platform so its either massively over tyred or the rim is to high an offset that it touches the strut.

The back end has a lot more inner

Current rides:

1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
20180821_173317.jpg

This is an 8" wide rim with an et25 offset.
To make it rub would probably need a 205 tyre

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Question for 1985,I just fitted Coilovers to my tin top which has 195/50/15 which is gouging my rims badly . I have pirelli p slots 185/60/14 to go on will they rub Also? Thanks

Back to the top
To be gouging the rim you must be running fairly low.

I'd like to think not with a 6" rim on an et35-38

But a 185/60 is going to give you a bigger rolling radius over 195/50 and will cause the tyre to balloon quite a bit outside the width of the rim so I think you may still have clearance issues with the tyres.

Why such big rubber?

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Thanks mate, I thought 185/60/14  tyre was the correct size for mk1s  as  fitted by vw?

Back to the top

gafo said

Thanks mate, I thought 185/60/14  tyre was the correct size for mk1s  as  fitted by vw?

Could have 15” if later cabby
185/60/14
185/55/15 depends on wheels fitted.
But common tyre upgrade was 195/50/15.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
You're right it was the original tyre size for the Pirelli 14" wheels, it just sounds huge when you read the numbers.

The later cabs with BBS RA rims (I think thats the right model) would of been 195/50 but obviously on standard suspension

By modern standards it just sounds a bit wrong, almost like the lack of quality in the rubber back in the 80's was sorted out by putting more of it on the road.

With modern tyres now you can have 3/4 of the original contact with the road yet still have more grip but it all depends on what you want aesthetically and comfort wise but I am making the assumption if you are running coilovers then ride quality isnt a priority anyway

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Are Coilovers really that bad ?I switched the boge gas shocks and weitec springs from the tin top onto my cabby as I plan to sell the tin top and the suspension was shot in the cabby anyway.

Back to the top

Hi all here are a few pictures of the tyres touching the rear springs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

282 views (98 Kb)

311 views (74 Kb)

Back to the top

Is there enough space on the other side to space the wheels out at all?

Failing that go down a tyre size

gafo said

Are Coilovers really that bad ?I switched the boge gas shocks and weitec springs from the tin top onto my cabby as I plan to sell the tin top and the suspension was shot in the cabby anyway.

From my own experience yes unless you can spend £600+ but I've not had the pleasure of trying that yet.
Personally I think the Mk1 is too light a vehicle for coilovers, same on my Mk3 polos.
Where as I've just fitted Stance coilovers to my E46 BMW and it rides beautifully

I've gone to AP racing shocks and springs, its low enough but comfy

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
The offset on the new wheels is obviously very low. Ie around et50 at a guess.

Either use a 5 to 10mm spacer or get different wheels.
You could drop to a 185 tyre but that would only give 2 to 3mm extra clearance.

If you go with spacers anything over 5mm wide and you'll need longer bolts to hold the wheel on.

Original tyre specs were 185/60 r14's with a wheel of et38 on the steels with a width of 6 inches.

If you wider then you need to take into account that the ET changes as well.

Coilies vs shocks and springs! The debate rages.
Cheap are rubbish whether Coilies or shocks n springs.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Good man Ian, you’re a wealth of knowledge, so is it possible my collies won’t rub if I use highest set up and my p slots with 175/60/14 tyres?

Back to the top

gafo said

Good man Ian, you’re a wealth of knowledge, so is it possible my collies won’t rub if I use highest set up and my p slots with 175/60/14 tyres?

You should be fine as any coil overs with the car on it's factory size wheels, you should be able to get away with 185/60/14 on P slots as that's what VW fitted as standard.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Yup as Mark says you should be fine.

Clive is currently on his steels and the coils are missing with no issues.

IMG_20190425_104807.jpg

Ian IMG_20190425_104829.jpg

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Sorry typo 185/60/14

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.