Skip navigation

Replace cabby rear window seal

Back to the top
What's best mastic to use to refit rear window and seal  into frame?

Cheers
KP

Back to the top
None.  I use silicone RTV on the staples, then with a new or old gasket that has been cleaned, and re-newed for the old Rubber that is Alcohol or wd-40 along the inner and outer scrapers and the inside grove cleaned as on the glass as well, Replace the gasket on the glass I refit it Directly after applying the silicone (not tons of it mind you) with the 2 wraps of nylon mason twine then push fit to the frame then pull the twine from the inside of the frame while I usually can get a helper to push the glass in (FLAT PALMS only.)

Cabriolet Rear Window Replacement. | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

None.  I use silicone RTV on the staples, then with a new or old gasket that has been cleaned, and re-newed for the old Rubber that is Alcohol or wd-40 along the inner and outer scrapers and the inside grove cleaned as on the glass as well, Replace the gasket on the glass I refit it Directly after applying the silicone (not tons of it mind you) with the 2 wraps of nylon mason twine then push fit to the frame then pull the twine from the inside of the frame while I usually can get a helper to push the glass in (FLAT PALMS only.)

Cabriolet Rear Window Replacement. | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum
Thanks Brian. I’ll try that. What type of rtv? Struggling to find the rtv you’ve used in your guide here in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Black for black tops.
White for white ones.
Clear for all others.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Black for black tops.
White for white ones.
Clear for all others.

Do you happen to have a pic of your rear window heater cables. I never took a photo of mine before I took it all out. Now I can’t work out where the cables go when trying to put it all back together. Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
On the bottom of the inside of the seal at the edges there are holes, then at the middle of the sides there are holes.  The wires with the covers removed will go in the bottom of the seal holes from the outside to the inside of the seal lip,  Wrap them up the inside of the seal to the middle of the seal and out the hole to reattach the covers, then clip them on the terminal spads on the edge of the windows.  

Don't have pictures of the wires specifically, sorry.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.