Skip navigation

Mk1 Cabby finally back on the road saying hello

Back to the top

1990 GTi in Black

Hi, I'm another (V) old timer so requesting forgiveness straight away if I get things wrong as still learning about "posts", "threads" and all that sort of stuff.
16v Corrado alloys but have the original tatty black Avus ones.

IMG_0019.JPG

Back to the top
Welcome KenExRN, car looks tidy has it been painted/restored?

Don't worry about posting any question we are happy to help, a lot of questions have been asked on here so also search google and links to this site as there's a whole world of info out there.

Any other plans for the car or are you just enjoying driving it?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
;)Great looking car there, the wheels really suit it, love to see you squeeze it back in that garage 

Back to the top
Very observant Kingy but what you can't see is the Mk1 Scirocco Storm filling the other side of the garage awaiting attention after being in there for 21 years!
Mark, just had the back bumper painted after someone nudged it many years ago apart from that everything else is original. Also been in the garage a long time waiting for me to retire! Would like to visit a show sometime soon and then thinking of selling it to fund the Scirocco. I'm near Bath, any recommendations for a first visit?

Back to the top

Mk1 Cabby finally back on the road saying hello

Welcome aboard.
Nice looking cabby too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Your not that far from me, I'm about 10 miles north of Yeovil and your another Mk1 Golf Cabriolet driver with a Scirocco, I've a mk1 Scirocco GLS which I do use as much as I can.

There's a big VW show in Bristol, Bristol Volksfest (info on here and web.)

Bit of a drive but always worth a look is Stanford Hall, 5th May (Bank holiday Sunday) I'm going in my Mk1 Scirocco and we be on the Scirocco register stand and there's usually a big stand of Mk1 Golfs and plenty of air cooled stuff to look at as well.

https://www.stanfordhallvw.com/

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Hi, thanks for the welcome and info.
Looking for an illusive nearside A pillar trim. Any idea where to look apart from Fleebay etc?

Back to the top
Hi KenExRN

ive been after a drivers side a pillar trim and have found a chap on gumtree who has a pair and he is willing to split them so I’ve agreed in principal to buy o/s so if you are quick you may be able to get the near side trim.

search on gumtree for mk1 Golf cabriolet sportline edition and that should find his advert.

he is based in Cambridgeshire but was willing to post my trim for around £8, his comms aren’t the best so patience is required so I hope this helps you get what you need.

Back to the top
You can by repo ones from Germany.

https://www.werk34.de/en/trim-for-a-pillar-right-cabrio.html

I've also seen home made ones from trim edging from places like car builder if you want a cheaper option.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/trim

Genuine A pillar trims are no longer available from VW.  O_o

Back to the top
Thanks very much Mark, the ones on eBay from Germany have started to hit £90+ which is a stretch for such a small bit of trim

Back to the top
Yes silly money for a bit of plastic, I did buy a new set from VW for £30 and I though that was expensive at the time, was about 15 years ago.  :lol:

Back to the top
Kingy,
have another look at that German site because I'm sure they are listed for 23.9 euros. Just gonna use your link now to check it out and buy one.

Back to the top
Just ordered one at 23.90 euros. Shipping is a tenner but it is coming from Germany!

Back to the top
Hi Ken
just missed your first message, my trim from Germany arrived yesterday and it doesn’t look like it will fit straight on and after chatting with a chap at my first club meet on Monday he said they need a bit of work to fit, they aren’t just a straight slot onto the windscreen.

sorry you’ve just ordered, they may work and may look good after some manipulation.

the trim is new and looks good quality, just not the right shape and size sadly

Back to the top
Oh well, live n learn mate, even at my age. I'll go and look for the heat gun and tin snips.
There's a guy on Ebay breaking a cab and I've bought some bits off him really cheap if you need anything.
He's Alistairr24. Trouble is he's in Axeminster in Devon and seems to do collection only but he might post. Very good communication from him.
There was a yellow one like yours on the next street to me but it seems to have disappeared?
Ken

Back to the top
Live and learn indeed, I’m so stubborn I’ll get that trim to fit no matter what!

Thanks ken, just saved him as a seller on my eBay.

there have been 2 other Lagos yellow cabs on eBay in the past couple of weeks which have made me feel less exclusive but I think mine is in better Knick.

Back to the top
The one near me was pretty rough mate so I have a (sad) feeling it went to the breakers yard!!
Yellow is good!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.