Skip navigation

New inner tie rods one side sloppy

Back to the top

Is it normal?

Hi

I 've just mounted a set of new Meyle inner tie rods to the steering rack. When lifting up the rack, one of the tie rod seems loose and flops around without any resistance, while the other is snug and doesn't move until I put some force to it.

The loose one doesn't have any play in it, but I'm a bit sceptical about installing it  and maybe having to replace it shortly with the engine in. Not sure how much it would affect the steering feel either. So could anyone tell me if this is something to worry about? I mean they are supposed to be the same, but aren't..

Many thanks

Early 77 year model Golf. 4-Door

Back to the top
Flopping up and down freely on a new rod would bother me as well, but if there isn't any in-to-out slop that is the true test.  

I had a new inner that was really tight, and it groaned when it moved up and down with the suspension. It took a few miles before it too loosened up. It is the in/out play that is more worrisome.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
yeah there's no in-out play, but it's still mega sloppy compared to the other. It's been over a year since i ordered them though, so I didn't realize they were so cheap. Might try out a replacement.

Back to the top
As you have had them for so long and there's no in/out play I would just fit them as 95% sure there will be no problem with them once fitted and at the end of the day if they do fail in a year or two it's a straight forward job to replace and is possible to do with the car up on axle stands..
No point throwing away parts you have bought and not even fitted…  ;)

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Well I suppose you are right about that, if it's not a big problem after all. Good grief the money I have spent on this thing

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.