Skip navigation

1.3 GF engine Main bearing concerns

Back to the top

Please help identify parts

Hi all,

I have an issue finding the right main bearings for my engine.

I have a 1272cc GF engine, the bearings that are fitted all have 360° oil grooves, number 3 bearing has thrust washers fitted.

The issue I'm having is that the part numbers I can find for the bearings are showing number 3 bearing to be flanged and not have thrust washers. I contacted a company to try and source the correct ones and they have come back to me with a set of bearings that are the correct size and without a flange but only 1 pair have 360° oil grooves, the other 4 pairs have 180° grooves. The kit says just number 4 bearing has 360° groove but mine has it on all 5.

I would like to know if anyone can help me source the correct parts, standard size, or convince me that the 180° oil groove bearings will be OK to fit.

I've not had a look at my engine to see if there are oil galleries on both sides of the bearing housing so I guess I need to do that.

I hope someone can help me out. I'm ready to purchase them and get the crank back in.

Cheers,

Britney.

Goly The Golf, a 1983 5dr 1.3cl having a full resto.
Cherub, a 1985 Mk2 Polo Breadvan.
1995 Rover Mini Sprite (wife's daily)

Back to the top
Might be worth a call to an engine builder and ask their advice. There could be a reason the parts were changed from 360 to 180. Decent engine builder should be able to give you a steer on whether it's a major issue or not.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

Thanks paceman

Number 27 and 28 on the diagram was the first issue, they are the flanged number 3 bearings but mine have no flange but thrust washers instead.

The second was the oil grooves.

I will pop to an engine builders when I get a spare minute, I think there is a good one near me in Kegworth, SEP, so I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for your reply. 👍

Back to the top
I have seen bearings being offered both ways.  In bearing thrust washers, and separate thrust washers.

So I suspect it depends on the manufacture of the part as to what you get.  That is a 2H engine.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Thank you for your replys 😁

After a few long months of searching I have managed to find the correct bearings.

These sets have 5 pairs of bearings with the 360° oil hole I need.

Time to get them ordered and the engine built.

Mahle : 029 HS 10038
King : MB5028AM
Kolbenschmidt : 87420600

Cheers 🤘

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.