Skip navigation

Rear fog lamps turning off with main beam on?

Back to the top
My rear fog lamps turn off when I turn on the main beam but when I turn the main beam back off again the fog lights come back on. Is this normal or is there a problem with the wiring?

Car is a series 2 GTI, Thanks.

Back to the top
No the rear fog light should only come on when the main beam is switched on.

I'd have a look at how it's wired up.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Ok, I'll give it a check over, thanks! 

Back to the top
Ive never checked this, but both options seem a bit strange. If you need the rear fog on so no one hits you in the rear,  you dont really want it to turn of when you dip/main beam..

Back to the top
What was common practice on VWs a good few years ago and other cars was that the rear fog only worked with Dipped beam or front fog lamps, when you switched to full main beam the rear off light went out. reasoning I think is iif the fog is bad enough for rear fog to be needed, it will be no use switching main beam on as all you will get is glare back .

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
While i agree about glare back and using dip,  how well i can see in the fog has nothing to do with how well the person behind me can see in the fog, and if i feel the need to have it on i dont really want it turning of.

Back to the top

RichardHall said

What was common practice on VWs a good few years ago and other cars was that the rear fog only worked with Dipped beam or front fog lamps, when you switched to full main beam the rear off light went out. reasoning I think is iif the fog is bad enough for rear fog to be needed, it will be no use switching main beam on as all you will get is glare back .

I did have someone else tell me that this may be the case, do you know if your mk1 does it too?

Back to the top
it should come on with dipped beam, and stay on if you select main beam, so something is off with your wiring.

look behind the fusebox for a grey/yellow spade wire, if its ce1 fusebox it should go to M/1. If its been put into M/2, thats why its going off when main beam is selected.
https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Perfect! Thanks! Had chance today to have a look at the wiring, it was in M/2 for some reason. 

Back to the top
easy mistake to make if it gets tugged out accidentally. VW thought so too and fitted a different plug on later cars which only fits one way :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
There are too many online users to list.