Skip navigation

1984 MK1 Golf GTi cabriolet

Back to the top
Just bought this as a project to hopefully get back up to its original glory. Does anyone know whether the interior is original or if it's been added after? It needs some repair on the seats so just trying to decide whether to keep it and restore or have it replaced  C3A1EC69-BDDB-4A44-B999-AFC22326D95F.png 515BCB19-31C5-4337-BFFF-54964B20087A.png 76466A3D-1D32-40C3-A658-9F0836A250E8.png

Back to the top
Welcome GolfcabTVX

They are VW seats but looks like they have been re-covered already as they would not have that finish unless it was a special order.

If you find the paper sticker in the boot it should tell you have spec the car was when it left the factory.

Have a look here for sales brochures

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=galleries&type=misc&id=cabriolets

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

As above.
Not factory seating.
As an 84 model it wouldn’t of had the addiction of the body kit either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

If you need the top section replacing the headliner hood etc give me a shout.

Back to the top
I think the hood is ok and just needs a good clean up. May need to replace some seals though but not sure at the moment 

Back to the top
I am pretty sure the seats are re-covered Mk2 Golf Gti ones. Their  much more comfortable and supportive than Mk1 ones…though not 'correct' they look pretty good.

Back to the top

chortle said

If you need the top section replacing the headliner hood etc give me a shout.

Do you have any new headliners? 

Back to the top

I can get whatever you need.
Black or white?

Back to the top

I only use new stuff.
I’m not an advocate of putting old stuff on as it’s usually not much better than what you’ve got anyway.
Plus it’ll end up needing to be changed sooner than later.
No point paying and doing the job twice.
Just send me a message about what you need.

Back to the top

chortle said

I only use new stuff.
I’m not an advocate of putting old stuff on as it’s usually not much better than what you’ve got anyway.
Plus it’ll end up needing to be changed sooner than later.
No point paying and doing the job twice.
Just send me a message about what you need.

Would be a white headliner, how much would one be? Would probably clean up ok but noticed a few wear mark on some of the edges so depending on price I may just replace it 

Back to the top
Hey, you have my old car! All the extra's that are fitted to that car were specially ordered when purchased new i.e electric windows, seats, body kit.
Believe it or not I currently have the original Kamei X1 headlights and grill that came off that car for sale, see below including a pic with them still fitted.
I can tell you a lot about that car if you're interested. I had to replace the original DX engine and gearbox. With the replacement gearbox, is the second gear synchromesh still a bit weak? I actually still have another gearbox that I planned to fit so that I could overhaul that one.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/mk1-vw-golf-original-kamei-x1-front-grill-four-headlight-conversion/1403633531

Back to the top
No, the grill wasn't my thing either hence I replaced it with the single headlamp grill. Definitely a 'marmite' thing with the square headlights.
You purchased the car from my ex-wife. Unfortunately I had to give the car up as part of our divorce in 2016.
The engine and gearbox came from a Mk2 Golf GTI that was badly damaged and I purchased for spares.
I originally purchased the car in 2002 so owned it for 14 years.

Back to the top
It was a non-runner when I purchased it. The core plugs were all blown on the engine and the compressions were shot to bits on all cylinders.
When I drained the gearbox oil it was like draining lumpy mercury so that was a write off too.
The electrics were all shot to bits so the dashboard has been out and much of the original loom replaced.
On the plus side and probably most importantly the bodywork was superb both outside and underneath.
I have found some pics that I took when I first purchased the car……..

Back to the top
psn00021.jpg

psn00022.jpg

psn00023.jpg

psn00024.jpg

psn00025.jpg

psn00029.jpg

psn00030.jpg

Back to the top
Oh wow! That's such a shame to hear that it was neglected for a while. It was garaged the whole time that I owned it and only ever saw the light of day during the summer months. I'm so glad to hear that it has gone to a good home and is now being looked after again.

If there is anything I can do to help or you need to know anything about the car, please don't hesitate to ask.

Back to the top
Looking great, well done. Yes it went to all those shows and more! We had a club area with the site on the number plate surrounds so may well be recognised if you take it to shows.
I could never make up my mind whether to have the chrome or red grill, single or double headlights so actually had a combination of all of them that I kept swapping. Does look good with the red grill ;)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.