Skip navigation

DX Vacuum switches between dizzy and throttle body

Back to the top
Hi

Does anyone know if the switches and parts 19-22 are used on a 1983 DX engine, or what they are for? It's going into a 1976 car without the MFA and such, would they still be needed? Any input is helpful

Vacuum parts.png

Early 77 year model Golf. 4-Door

Back to the top
They are for the MPG reading on the MFA in early cars so not needed, later cars did not have this set up, they still had a pipe from the dissy to the back of the throttle body to advance the timing.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Superb, many thanks.

Back to the top
Over here it was used to power the up shift light for folks that needed to know when to shift gear efficiently to increase the MPG of the car because they were either too stupid to know, or a novice at a manual transmission.  

I can remember when it was touted as a greatest feature there was…. :) .From a Salesman as I was waiting on my car to be serviced…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I think Briano1234 is right and I'm wrong on the MPG part but it's no real use to you so don't worry trying to find parts…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I think Briano1234 is right and I'm wrong on the MPG part but it's no real use to you so don't worry trying to find parts…

They are still avail 171-919-825B . for those that want their upshift light to work, that is if it works in the clusters…. is it needed?  Not to me, as I know how to shift, and well the 90's didn't have it and how it is supposed to work on a diesel that doesn't really have a vacuum system on the engine.  :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Well money saved for me, I am keeping the original '76 dash cluster. Funny about it being a great selling point back in the day…

Back to the top
The vac switch mentioned on the dizzy to throttle body vac line is there to switch off the  up shift light when your in gears 1 to 4 and have taken your foot fully off the throttle pedal. That vac line has no vaccum in it when the throttle is fully shut. If you didn't monitor that line then you would have the upshift light on during over run/ engine braking which would confuse even more.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.