Skip navigation

Odd headlight issue

Back to the top

1992 cabriolet high beam not working

So when i use the low beams, they both work. When i turn on the high beams the left high headlight and low beam headlight will work.
On the right side both will turn off. Low beam headlight and high beam headlight. I checked and both lighs check out with multimeter  . Will check the fuses.
Any ideas on what could be the cause?

Back to the top
High beams are a dual element that is that they have 2 element burning, if you apply power directly to the bulb do they come on, or not and then there is the inner quad.

Bulbs go bad usually the lows as they are used more often.  But Highs go out as well.

So if you are talking about the inner quad not working then back up to the fuse, but those bulbs as well go bad.
So it wouldn't hurt to check the bulbs.

There is one fuse for each lamp high or low, so 4 fuses are for the headlamps.  The inner quad has issues with corrosion on the ground lugs and it could be a bad bulb or iffy ground.

Bad grounds to the bulbs are another issue to them as well it could be that your ground connection to the inner is iffy.

One of the best upgrades that you can do to your car is to relay the headlights.

It gives more power to you headlights as a Shorter run of wire from the battery to the lamp.

Removes the hi-current off the Headlight switch as well as the stalk switch which leads to greater life expectancy of them.

You can buy kits off of Ebay to get everything in one package cheaper than you can assemble the parts and the kits come with Ceramic Sockets so you can go to a better wattage bulb as in h4, or h5.

I run the Silver Stars for the main and h4 for the inner quad.  After installing the relays (I used 3) I have 13.75V at my headlights.

The 3 relays are so that both my elements in the Main bulb shine as well as the inner quad when I flip the hi-beam switch.  :)  I like Light.

Here is my how do I do that with the 2 and 3 lamp relays.  2 is good, and I used that for a few years until I decided that I really wanted my Highs a tad brighter.

Relaying your Head Lights | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.