Skip navigation

Audi tripple VDO gauges install guide

Back to the top

I’d definately go for proper transmission oil as well, the only car I know of that run engine oil in the transmission is minis, morrises, whatever the difference is, and they dont tend to last forever so proper trans oil on it next time then it will be just fine.

What a nice place to stay for the winter, under a nice carpet and everything, looks great ;)

Back to the top
I have only ever used 90wt in my Transmissions, and well I have over 300K miles on my Diesel Bunny prior to selling it with no ill will, and I changed it every time I did a Clutch @ 130-140K.  I never had any leaks on the thing. Same with my MG's and Toyota's that had manual transmissions. Now these Cabbies I own use 90wt in the Diff and ATF in the main, and I have exchanged them both about every 5 years since I have owned them. Gee's are you sure you have room in there for your CAR?  Mine looked like that for a few years, but moving got rid of 24 years of clutter, along with 22 trips to a dump with my van. We had a contest on who's garage was junkier.  I won when I threw in Pictures of my basement.  :) But dare I say I don't hold a candle to you :) Moving Started Aren't we all pack rats. It seemed like the Wife would clean the house, and place all her stuff in the garage.  Then I would lug it down to the Basement….When we moved Everything went, save for my VW parts :) :lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbs: 

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
nice writeup, just to add for gauge illumination check behind fusebox for a spare grey/blue wire with spade, this is fed from the dimmer wheel and its usually there or you can tap into the ciggy lighter grey/blue.

for voltage on CE1 fusebox use G spade 2 or 5 as those are fed from coil power rail from ignition switch, so useful to keep an eye on. spades 1 and 5 are fed from the X relay so only really tell you how much power the wiper & blower motors have to play with :lol: ceramic fusebox you can use G spade 3 round the back.

remove all that garbage in your dizzy vacuum line, its not supposed to be there. it should have a plastic vacuum pipe with rubber at each end direct from the nipple on brake servo hose. I suspect in the past someone has had a pipe snap/melt and fixed it up from bits and bobs pulled out of the bin…

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

Thanks Jonny great info :)
But dont all the grey/blue connect to lighting dimmer? Would make sense if they did and then Grey/red was constant on ign.
I’ll definatly look into the waccum stuff, only thing that confuses me is that there are these rubber endings in place but maybe the plastic hose was too short for them in the end.. they tend to often have quite a past these cars :)

Back to the top

BTW this is up next :)

Back to the top
yeah all the grey/blue wires in your dash are fed from the dimmer, so is what you would use if you want the gauges to come on with the dash lighting. ignition on is also fine, personal preference. only real problem is the bulbs wont last as long :P

grey/red on ciggy lighter is permanent live so no good for the gauges, but the brown is earth so you could tap your gauges to that if need be, but may as well run the earths to the earth claw

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.