Skip navigation

Mk1 golf gear change selector

Back to the top

Struggling for 1st gear

So I have a 1983 golf gti and I'm struggling for 1st gear.

I'm not mechanically minded so I have to get the garage to do everything..
I'm going to get them to change the gear change selectors.

My question is what shall I get them to change while they are at it, if anything? 

Thanks in advance 

Back to the top

Back to the top
That should do it.

Does it feel a bit like stirring porridge when finding all the gears or just first is the issue?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks Ian

The gear box feels fine, it's just 1st gear that feels like it's not there 99% of the time.
Then 1 in a 100 it will just go in fine 🤷🏼‍♂️

Do you think the bits Iv posted above off eBay will help me Ian.
Luke 

Back to the top
That kit on eBay is a start, if you don't know when the gearbox oil was last check or changed I would change that as well, fully synthetic oil is a good upgrade as it works better at lower temperatures.

Recommended oil change 40,000 to 60,000 miles depending on how you drive etc…

2l is plenty, takes about 15 minutes to drain and refill the gearbox so not a difficult job to do with the right tool so should not cost much if done by the garage.  :thumbs:https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/car-tranmission-oils/manual-transmission-fluids/?522776022&0&cc5_868

stuff I use in both my cars..

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Lukebow said

Thanks Ian

The gear box feels fine, it's just 1st gear that feels like it's not there 99% of the time.
Then 1 in a 100 it will just go in fine 🤷🏼‍♂️

Do you think the bits Iv posted above off eBay will help me Ian.
Luke 

If you are trying to down shift from 2nd to 1st, while you are moving, that is a normal thing  VW's that are aged love to have the car stopped before they get in to first.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
My brother had one he left with me for a while,I took it out and came to a junction on a hill and coudn't get first, the kit as above cured it completely.
Why don't you have a go yourself, it's easy, just do one piece at a time, clean it off well and perhaps a bit of silicon grease, you'll do a better job than the garage will.
 Wheeler dealers demonstrated how to make it difficult, they took the whole contraption off the car in one go.

Back to the top
Linkage ordered.
I'll get the garage to do it next week along with the oil change.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Back to the top
Something else you will more than likely need is the rubber boot  below the gear lever, they're not cheap but while you're at it you may aswell do it properly, VW Heritage should have them. There is a plastic disc that fits in it so best to have a quick look and make sure that is still there.

Back to the top
Cedar,
I'm not sure I know what you mean..
Could you possibly post a link please.
I would really appreciate it.

Back to the top
https://www.vwheritage.com/171711195c-gear-selector-protective-boot-vw-spare
It's this rubber boot, on both mine and my brothers the bellows section came adrift. It would be worth checking it as the garage will have to remove it to fit two bushes on the selector rod - gear lever joint.
Cheers

Back to the top
under the boot above there are 2 bushes between gearstick and main rod, be sure you dont forget those! I didn't get round to those before my mot and 1st gear was a real pain. caused me to stall in the middle of a junction, and as starter wire fell off as well i couldn't start it again. fun times :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.