Skip navigation

Cutting out when driving

Back to the top
So I be recently bought a Clipper and found myself broken down on the way home. Thought I'd run out of fuel at first and was going to need a new fuel sender. Filled up the tank and it still broke down. Loss of power… just like no fuel.

Anyway….. after reading lots online it seemed to point towards the carb. So I splashed out on a Weber carb.
It's all fitted (just needs tuning). It runs, rev, idles ok. Great I thought…. go for a quick spin.

2 mins up the road and nearly warm…. cuts out. Same as before.

I notice the inline fuel filter seems to empty when reving above 3k rpm. Is that normal?

My brain says it's fuel starvation as it takes a while to start again….like Its drawing fuel back to the carb.

Any ideas? I'm so diasponted as thought I was nearly there. Know the carb is a good purchase even if it's not the root cause so not too fussed. Just want it to run again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Cutting out when driving

These had a mechanical fuel pump operated by a cam and lever set up. They can wear out.
Plus I’d check the fuel filler neck and inside the fuel tank for rust particles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Re: Cutting out when driving

I asked the same question on Facebook. Have an overwhelming response…. many mention the rusty neck. Will check pump too. Thanks pal

chortle said

These had a mechanical fuel pump operated by a cam and lever set up. They can wear out.
Plus I’d check the fuel filler neck and inside the fuel tank for rust particles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Cutting out when driving

Did you get this issue resolved as I had the same issue it was the vapour separator or swirl pot I fitted a new fuel pump and it was sending it back down the fuel return line before the carb could get it .same symptoms as yours

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I’ve been through this problem myself, took me a lot of searching on here to find the answer…

Basically it is fuel starvation, I fitted a brand new Weber to my car but it kept cutting out every 100 yards or so, there are a couple of fixes that work, the first one is to fit a welding tip to the fuel return just as it comes off the vapour trap, this reduces the fuel return and cured my car, you can buy them off fleebay, they come in different sizes, I used a 0.8mm size.

The second fix is to completely remove the fuel return, or just block it off. This was my next fix if the welding tip didn’t work, but so far so good, it’s like night and day when you do the mod and only takes 5 mins.

good luck.

Back to the top
you can try blocking the return first, as its a free check you can try. if it helps then give the welding tip trick a try

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.