Skip navigation

My Mk1 focus rs restoration

Back to the top

Focus rs

Hi people 
I posted for the first time in a lot of years the other day with the story of my Mk1 tin top restoration and mentioned my focus build so here is the links to my Imgur account with most of the progress. I bough the car three years ago as the price was right and was missing turbo power after seeing my Evo 8mr. The rs was bought as a project but as always it spiralled out of control as it was only Ment to be some welding on the sill and rear arches, but as I fixed the car, taking on all the work my self on my own my love for the car grew and I end doing a lot more and spending a lot more that I ever thought i would. 

There are over 50 high high quality pics in some of these links and I have a lot of fotos from the last few months of the car fully back together and on the road. 

The links are in order of the work I've done. 
Enjoy 

Mk1 focus rs - Album on Imgur
Mk1 rs sub frame restoration - Album on Imgur

https://imgur.com/gallery/FwQg9

https://imgur.com/gallery/LM8cv

https://imgur.com/gallery/ntWjH

https://imgur.com/gallery/XLDqo

https://imgur.com/gallery/NrP6f

Last edit: by harveygti

Back to the top
I'm surprised how rusty looking the car is underneath for a new car, you've done a good job tidying it up.

Don't worry your have plenty more rust to play with owning a tin top Golf.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I'm surprised how rusty looking the car is underneath for a new car, you've done a good job tidying it up.

Don't worry your have plenty more rust to play with owning a tin top Golf.  :thumbs:

Thanks, new car.. shes 16 years old now and and id say spending her years on the Scottish roads has taken its toll although even a low mileage one car be very rusty on the arches and sills,  

with the golf id say my rusty days are behind me now, its had a bit of a extensive resto hence while its still no where near finished.  

last time home i fitted the new "RS" sill kick plates and got the car back from the body shop, the inside of the wheel well and floor had yet to be painted so that was done and i fitted the interior back in.

i am happy with it just now because i have finally be able to use it again on the last few nice days and even a few very rainy days that i was caught in but its for being used at the end of the day however will most likely be off the road from the end of October to April.  

jobs for new year or after the golf is complete is to fully strip the front end engine out ect and paint inside the engine bay and the reminder of the floor.

if anyone knows of a clutch laying about that fits the mk1 rs let me know as mine is on the way out and after the front end is done i plan to maybe fit a t36 turbo or get the internals on the original up rated so i can run excess of 300bhp but retain the original look and charge cooler and not need to change any turbo oil lines.  

cheers
Harvey  

Back to the top
Some up to date photos of the rs now it's completed. 

448E460F-E259-463C-8F80-34D6E43E34C3.jpeg 7F535262-C4EB-4E03-9F0C-8AC7084C7BBF.jpeg F5BB5435-DFF1-430C-ADFE-4ACCF2CECFD7.jpeg 0F57B832-6682-4600-89C2-5C07F81A5777.jpeg 5373F827-0756-4F7D-9280-6C1F243C1B5B.jpeg BFE2CB2B-867D-40DC-B874-4AEF8835B459.jpeg

Back to the top
90FD4EED-F955-4825-A774-AAD3F576A6FE.jpeg Focus off the road now for winter until the roads clean up. 

Back to the top
What the hell do you chose to drive when the weather is bad?

Im not a ford man at all but I do like a Mk1 Focus RS and that is lovely.

I wouldnt want to use the Golf in bad weather.

The Fireblade is going to be increasing in value so wouldnt want to use that

Probably wouldn't trust the ducati to come out of the other side of a light shower with everything still working.

What is your daily?

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
So I have a clio 197 sport that’s been my daily for 10 years now, it’s only let me down the once and that was last month when the altanator packed in.

The Ducati believe it or not is a very reliable bike these days, never had any issues, bought it brand new 2015 12k miles and not any trouble.

Blade was out over last summer for a few months. Quite a fun bike and quite comfortable by today’s standards for a super bike.

also have a road registered yz 250 motor crosser… difficult to drive anywhere  with a sensible head on.

Back to the top
The 2.0l clios are another car I've got a soft spot for actually.

Sounds like you are lucky with the ducati.
My brother in law is the chief mechanic for Kents biggest Ducati main dealer, he seems to spend the majority of his time working on two very high end models owned by Paul Hollywood.

Seems to be that one breaks down as soon as the other is fixed and they just swap them over.

I'm quite jealous of your garage actually, although the blade would have to be an urban tiger.

I haven't even read your golf build thread yet so I'm heading that way now

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Focus never made it out on the road this year… with covid going on and being made redundant in March thought best to leave it where it is. Took her out for a wash a month or so ago… I've got a bad crack in the original exhaust manifold, I have a replacement but getting time to work on it just now is hopeless, power steering pump is howling too, again I have a new one, got a little pile of parts for the Rs, also is due a timing belt. 

Bet there's a lot of folks never had there cars out this year. Hopefully things are different for everyone and we can get back to some sort or normality.

F0D4F533-4C59-40EA-A38E-675693E4B30E.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.