Skip navigation

Lambda probe

Back to the top
The lambda on my g60 engine came off the exhaust and the threads are gone it’s an 89 corrado engine in the car, I found a spare lambda in the garage but it’s s different connector 4 pin . Can I simply cut and solder in the 3 pin connector from my car . Both have two white and a black, the extra wire is an earth which doesn’t actually go to the lambda thanks folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Lambda probe

Sorry I forgot to ask are both white wires the same ? I mean does it matter which whites I solder together ? Thanks again

Back to the top
Threw me for a second.  

Yes the 2 white wires are the heater wires and they can be cut and spliced together either wire can go to either white wire. The only one that is the sense is the black and you keep black to black.

The ground I always thought was a funny wire.  It is only connected as a RF shield to the frame, so it isn't really needed.

When I changed my o2 or Lambda as y'all call it I could buy a generic one for 40 bucks or pay the 140 for oem.

I also moved my Bung to the down pipe as I had a cracked manifold and replaced it with a 4-2 g60.

I didn't like where the bung was that was on the down pipe so I had a new one installed on the right hand side. Makes changing it easier.  So I had to install the sensor and in doing so I had to extend the wires a wee bit.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Lambda probe

Thanks Brian I thought I was gonna have to spend more money . The lambda with the crappy thread  only has about 10k miles I don’t know what happened to it . Can I use exhaust paste on threads when I’m fitting the new lambda or do I use something else?

Back to the top
Can someone please tell me how I can turn off notifications for this post

Thanks

Back to the top

gafo said

Thanks Brian I thought I was gonna have to spend more money . The lambda with the crappy thread  only has about 10k miles I don’t know what happened to it . Can I use exhaust paste on threads when I’m fitting the new lambda or do I use something else?

I use never-seize only, I suspect that you can use a exhaust paste, but it all depends on do you want to get it back out?   The Generic one is only like 27 dollars.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Lambda probe

Back again , I had to buy a new manifold as mine broke Just checking on where I should weld in the lambda/02 boss? Any pics of yours Brian? Thanks

Back to the top
Well as I am in the US, and I drive on the left.
I also have a Automatic,

But I placed both of mine on the right side of the car about half way up the right most down pipe, very easy to get to.

here is my mock up the welds got prettier when I had ot off the car.

exhaust007.JPG

Yep that is a old license plate being used as a Heat shield for the power steering rack.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Lambda probe

Thanks Brian, mine was on the left not so easy to get to. Roughly in the same location . Great idea with the reg plate

Back to the top

Lambda probe

so the main man Tristan not only sorted me with a new manifold he sorted me with a boss for the lambda/co sensor , the boss is 17m.m deep . How far in should the  boss be inside the exhaust pipe?

Back to the top

Lambda probe

When fully screwed in the tip of the sensor protrudes 8m.m

Back to the top
I used to use a oil fouler for plugs, it is the correct size  and all you have to do is cut the inner part off.

You can trim it down, but I think that you may be ok, I never have looked at one from the inside to see how far it extended in to the pipe.

But as long as it can have exposed holes I think you are going to be alright, as I said you can file it down a wee bit to give you more tip.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.