Skip navigation

3D Printed End Use Parts - Research

Back to the top

In need of some feedback

Hi all,
It has been a while since i ventured onto the forum having sold my mk1 a few years back for a practical 4 door Audi to transport my young family around. i do miss owning one but i am on here for some advice/feedback or general comments on a something that i believe could potentially benefit the mk1 community. By day i'm a design engineer and the rest of the time i 3D print items.

At the moment i am gathering research into suitable parts to produce either because they are difficult to find, expensive to buy or perhaps need replacement often, there is also the possibility of personalised or customised items.

I have a Ultimaker 3 at home and access to a larger format printer at work for larger parts. Its possible to print in a range of plastic materials.

I currently have a customer who orders end use parts for his Raleigh Chopper rebuild business and i'm in the process of testing some custom nut covers (they have been on the car 18 months)

Do any of you have suggestions as to which parts i should start with or thoughts on providing this service?

Thanks in advance

Back to the top
Series 2 dash trim items would be good.

The surrounds for the switches particularly as the lugs snap.

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Now if the designs can be directly sent to a metal printer then metal version of plastic components is also a nice idea.

A robust and long life scuttle panel cover would be nice also. Maybe one which is full width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Pirelli p caps I need three done

Back to the top
1985 - I know what your saying about the lugs snapping off, normally they completely disappear so there no chance of repairing it or they end up falling down behind the dash.  I reckon there are quite a few surrounds that could be reproduced on numerous models.

Backinblack - I recently designed a metal prototype print for work, they have put down a deposit on a machine so it will be interesting to see what gets produced.

gafo - i think these would be great to do, why not have a full set. i would need to model up the part on CAD, would you be willing to post the one you have for me to take measurements, from that i could determine if the part is feasible to make and create a quote for you. Would you want raw prints or smoothed and painted?

Here are the wheel nut covers.

This is a part for a raleigh chopper - The top part is the original

Another chopper part - raw part/painted gloss black/assembled into final part

A centre hub for some custom turbofans ready for a show

Here are some metal printed parts i saw at a show last year, the cube is 1cmx1cm

Back to the top
Your pics didnt upload for some reason bud.

Full length rain tray would be a great idea actually.

I have no idea how big these printers are but a single piece GTI duck bill that is actually wide enough for the car would be great

Oh and a red grille trim if a way of attaching it could be found

Current rides:

1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
20180911_170118.jpg Pretty much anything plastic…. the seat belt spring tensioner covers on a cabby…will try find pic.
Mushroom door pulls, plastic for cabby windows..its like PVC.
Golf mk2 is Lhs wiper hole blanks

20180922_095700.jpg

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

Thanks yes, That would be great send me on your postage details, I could probably get it done locally but I need to use my 50  percent off mk1golforg discount card before it expires

Back to the top

Some of the bigger parts couldn’t be printed on many desktop printers. Mine has a build plate of 215x215x200, on the larger one at work it’s 330x240x300, I think if I was to do grille trim  I may have to create a jig and plastic weld parts together.
Are some of the parts mentioned difficult to get hold of or are the expensive to buy?

Back to the top

Back to the top

Not at all , the parts mentioned are readily available and are inexpensive. We like to encourage people in their endeavors.Think of us as free quality control people and nurturers.

Back to the top
Well not strictly true, red grille trims are around £100
Duckbill spoilers are as low as 25 but I've never seen a 2 piece one that fits properly

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Red grill trim 100. Chrome grill surround sanded and painted the correct mars red paint which I  bought off the shelf in my local motor factors € 8

Back to the top
Movable Vent/wing window nylon pivots.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Do you reckon there’s a market for painted plastic grille trim?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.