Skip navigation

Rattle rattle 😡

Back to the top
Hi guys and gals. Got my cabby up on ramps at the minute trying to find the source of an annoying tinny rattle everytime i hit a bump in the road.
A good look round sees the downpipe heatshield loose and rattly.
Looking at the shield it is held on with two bolts onto the downpipe at the top and a rusted solid coach bolt which fitted between the two pipes??
After a couple of hours trying to access the coach bolt i managed to cut the nut of the bolt but because of its length it wouldn't push out the back as it kept hitting the steering rack.
So after another hour or so managed to get the two top bolts off as well then spent another half hour giggling it about to get off.
Rang VWH to order a new clamping bolt with some confusion as it seems this shield should be one piece and the clamping bolt is not a coach bolt type but a hex head nut and bolt. Also it seems as if the bolt does not fix through the middle of the pipes but to one side of it.
My question is that does the shield if i buy a new one piece one fit without taken the two c clamps off to release the downpipe?? and should the bolt fit between the pipes or not??
Sorry for the long explanation but have took some pics to show the abortion that was on.
Thanks again all. 20180719_130717.jpg 20180719_130739.jpg 20180719_130954.jpg 20180719_130839.jpg 20180718_155415.jpg

1990 Golf GTI cabrio 1.8i.  DX Engine

Back to the top
Your shield isn't that bad, buy some new bolts and bolt it back on, there isn't anything special about the bolts, SS is best but regular ones with Plenty of Never-Seize and lock nuts will stop that from rattling.

The wires need to go, use either new u-bolts or Stainless Steel zip ties….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Ok thanks for that Briano but do you know if the bolt goes through inbetween the two pipes or by the side and should this be a one piece shield?
Cheers.

Back to the top
I don't know that one, but I created one similar to it when I converted to a dual down pipe

That long Carriage bolt Probably is long enough just take it to a hardware store and get two just like it.  Then smear it with Anti-seize so you can remove it easily in the future.  

I also cut slits in my shield on one side to fit a SS hose clamp so I could position it solid to one of the pipes and clamp it in the middle…I also used washers to help pucker it in the middle to ensure of a good tight fit to the pipes….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I would of thought the bolt should go between the pipes as that looks like how the shield is made.
Fit the bolt where ever it feels right, at the end of the day it's a Heat shield to stop rubber melting, fit it where and how it does the best job and bolt it up.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Yep that sounds good, maybe I'm making a bit of a meal out of this one but just trying to get it right 1st time and ready for the meet next weekend.

Thanks again all.👍

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.