Skip navigation

2l 8v Carb @202bhp/150kw?

Back to the top

is this possible?

Hi guys,

recently purchased a Mk1 Golf with a Mk3 2l 8v carb motor, im looking to break the numbers game and get the thing up to 150kw or 202bhp?
Do you think this is possible and if so how can it be done, the motor is pretty standard atm with only branches added to it.

Lemme know what you think!

Back to the top
I suspect/think with lots of head work and some wild cams you could achieve that bhp figure,  but I also suspect/think it would be at some pretty high revs and difficult to drive normally.

Back to the top
Super charger or turbo charging might get you up to those figures?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
It's no problem at all to achieve over 200hp from a 2ltr 8v….actually 215-220hp is possible subject to final spec.

200hp from a 2ltr needs 45 webers, a big valve head, 310-320 degree cam, solid race lifters, forged pistons, tubular manifold and a decent system.

Peak power isn't as high as you'd think….7000-7300 again subject to the final spec. They pull strong low down and immensely strong in the mid range so arnt at all undrivable when done properly.

The biggest problem is the workout you leg will get for the heavy duty clutch needed….thats what makes them less fun in normal road use….not a problem with race or track day use though.

I've done budget race engines though that make a genuine 180hp @ 7000 rpm from 1870cc with standard crank rods, pistons and lifters, still with strong mid range torque…would be even better as a 2ltr…185hp at less revs and 150-155ibft. If you don't feel the need to chase numbers decent power can be had without expensive parts if the revs are kept down….horses for courses.

www.jmrclubsport.com
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.