Skip navigation

handiman42

Back to the top

fuel problem

Firstly thanks mark1gls for the reply.I changed the filler neck a few years ago.Always keep an eye on it ,also main fuel pump checked/system holding lots of pressure/ injectors cleaned [not sure about them as they are over 30 years old/ all fuel lines checked/ no air leaks in system/new h.t leads ,plugs dizzy cap/ rotor arm.Have run injectors on home made rig, cannot realy tell if they are ok. Starts no problem, have to keep tickling the throttle for a few minutes,ticks over at 900rpm , give it some revs and it misses and runs lumpy and after a while back fires ,have checked timing,running it on super unleaded 99 ron, been in my garage for 16 years ( sacrilege i know) run it every 2  weeks, all new fuel,its on axle stands at the moment, ran it yesterday @6000rpm 70 mph at the wheels still missing . Just do not know what else i can do. Any suggestions

Back to the top
Take a look here handiman42 - http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14915

I know it's for a MK2, but there's enough similarity and Jonny's guides are useful for checking that you've not missed the obvious  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for that andy will check it out

Back to the top
Hi Andy just another thing. The two wur,s I stripped down , both had only 1 gauze in them,it looks like the inlet pipe side . do you think this is correct

Back to the top
I'm not 100% certain but that does sound familiar, yes  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks andy it does look as though there has not been a filter on one .Just waiting for a lift pump to be delivered and will start putting all the bits back on. Will let you know how I get on .Thanks again . Regards Dave

Back to the top
Good luck Dave, keep us posted how you get on  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hi Andy have put all the bits back on i.e.new  lift pump, new fuel filter, new injectors.Started the car today still needed to tickle the throttle for 2 minutes still ran ropey so i put the pipe i had taken from the head back on and it ran a little bit better Then it back fired into the air intake, made a buzzing sound {sounded like it came from inside the car} then it stalled and would not start again {never not started before} It was turning over ,no problem.but it seemed as though there was no fuel , but i undid the fitfth injector and fuel came pouring out.Iam now at a loss as what to do next.  Any ideas thanks andy . Regards Dave

Back to the top
Andy do you think the fuel pump has stopped working ,because it was making a noise before,or was the buzzing I heard could be the relay.How would I test the fuel pump. If I took the fifth injector off and put it into a container,if fuel came out would that mean the pump is still working. Also should the pump work just by switching on the ignition .If the relay is k.put would the pump still work A lot of questions I know but thanks for any feedback. Regards Dave

Back to the top
Hi Dave

I read your first post and thought fuel pump relay for the noise inside the car - maybe that's given up?

When you turn on the ignition you should get a little, quick buzz from the pump as it primes. To test that's working you could as you say disconnect a pipe and turn the engine over. I wouldn't disconnect the 5th injector hose just on the off chance there's any issues with that working as it should - or by off chance you warm up the engine enough with your testing and then the 5th injector should prime anyway.

The easiest way to test the pump would be to put 12v directly on the pump - just be careful with the risk of spark/fuel combo!! You could put 12v on it from the battery without disconnecting any fuel pipes just to see if it buzzes. If that comes on every time then I'd be looking at the relay.

Do a search on here about bridging the relay. I can't remember which two terminals it is but you can take the relay out and put a bridge in two slots on the fuse board.  

Be careful as that will run the fuel pump 100% of the time. However, if you do that and run the engine and it runs fine, then the relay would be the likely culprit.

Hope that helps!  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for that Andy, Low and behold , went out there today and it started on the button.Still having to tickle the throttle until it will tick over on its own.Its still running very unevenly and when its warmed up it runs very lumpy .Will not run with the tunnel from the air shroud off ,so cannot get to the timing plug with the timing light to check it .Maybe its not the pump or the relay if it runs albiet crappy  Also it seems to make no difference ,the pipe on the head being on or off….Should it ….Anyway i will test the pump as you explained I will let you know how i get on thanks for the advice as usual. Regards Dave

Back to the top
shrouds on or off make a difference, as if you are having a vacuum leak somewheres it can screw with the Fuel Distributer, as the "Air Plate" can't function correctly and in general Dubs don't like vacuum leaks at all.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks Briano ,I was only trying to get a timing light in the gap above. Not to run it all the time like that

Back to the top
Hello Andy when I turn on the ignition I get no noise at all with pump, but I did what you suggested and put 12v through it and it ran ,also there was a slight buzzing from the fuse box area.Also I took the relay out ,tried to start the vehicle without the relay and it started— would that be residule fuel in the system. I switched it off strait away Just to add the relay has got February 1985 stamped on it ,so it is the original one. Would this part number thats on it+++321906059E+++still be current Thanks so much for your help Regards Dave

Back to the top
yes that is still available.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi Andy just an addition to my last post .I changed the relay and when I switched on the ignition the pump did indeed buzz for few seconds., but how if the relay had gone would the car still run++ I will let you know how I get on with the overall running when I run it up properly thanks.

Back to the top
Andy I wonder if you could read my post in the Helllllppp page .I was in touch with mark ,but have not heard from him lately Thanks in advance Regards Dave

Back to the top
Hi  Can anyone help me . I have changed my air shrouded injectors for non air shrouded, have Igot to change the inserts as well ,because there seems to be a lot more movement when they are fitted ,than with the air shrouded Regards Dave W.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.