Skip navigation

**wanted** HELP! 1.8T build thread for mk1.

Back to the top

NEWbie with the 1.8t

Hi guys. Yep, another newbie here doing the 1.8T conversion to a mk1 golf.

Ive been reading through all the topics for the past couple of days but i was wondering if people could help/point me in the right direction of a good detailed build thread for the basics of getting the engine in and mounted and a potenial shopping list of things ill need.

Yesterday i removed a complete AGU engine with the O2J gearbox. firstly i would like to know what is used to delete the a/c unit and PAS pump. im aware that ill need to run a smaller belt and all that…. but thats as far as ive got so far. haha.

Also whos the best guy to talk to getting me wiring loom converted and with this is there somewhere i can still send my AGU ECU away to get the immo delete e.t.c? or is it still best to get a aftermarket ecu for the right engine code?

Im sure you guys have answered these questions thousands of times but im hoping to get all the answers under one roof for myself to use.

look forward to this build and your guys help.

Thanks Ollie

Back to the top
Vagtronics will do the ecu for you. 

Yeah you cut the bottom of the power steering mount off and run a 6pk925 belt. 

Back to the top

Roach said

Vagtronics will do the ecu for you. 

Yeah you cut the bottom of the power steering mount off and run a 6pk925 belt. 

Cheers Roach ive been it contact with Vagtronics, helpful guys.

is that the full part number for the smaller belt?

Back to the top
Yeah just bang 6PK925 into ebay and they'll come up.. I use Gates belts. 

6 is the number of ribs, and 925 is the length. 

Back to the top
ditch the agu engine management its proper old and not many people like to map it

you should be looking at me7.5 ecu and loom

DANBOY.

Mk1 Golf cabrio "Golf+ absolutely cabulous"
fresh 20vt rebuild well underway :)https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmy-old-white-cabby#post_1402754

Back to the top

DANBOY said

ditch the agu engine management its proper old and not many people like to map it

you should be looking at me7.5 ecu and loom

ME7.5? is that a company or make of ecu's?

also. what do people do about running a fuel pump? do you run the original fuel pump from a mk4 and  fit it to the orignal tank? i was going to get a custom one made for the spare wheel hole and get the mk4 pump to fit that…..  and what about the fuel pipes? what do people use?

Back to the top
me 7.5 is the last of the original vag 1.8t engine management

commonly found on bam engines my 06 seat Ibiza cupra also runs me7.5

my cabby is a gti I'm just using the original fuel pump

DANBOY.

fresh 20vt rebuild well underway :)https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmy-old-white-cabby#post_1402754

Back to the top
ok, cheers ill check it out.

One last question for now…..

Did you end up using the original gear linkage cables for the O2J gearbox along with the gear shifter  and brackets to install?

Back to the top
no worries fire the questions away if i can help i will

we used the full o2j set up from the mk4 golf mine was an early one the later ones are better but i am not to fussed as i use the early one on my track car and that been perfect cant fault it

my set up is a bit of a bitsa as i used all the spare parts i had around me from my track car

bbu block
fully rebuilt rebore with wosner pisons and forged rods
agu head rebuilt with vvt added
02r ibiza cupra gearbox
early mk4 golf 02j shift tower and cables
audi tt ecu and loom keeping the wide band lamba / maf and the egt sensor
k04 turbo
tt inlet dbw throttle body
single pass toyosport intercooler

i am not going mad on power as mine is in a cabby i just want some boost and it to look pretty should be a nice linear 270/280 bhp

DANBOY.

Back to the top
Thanks!! its all making more sense now.

What driveshafts do you go for and where? ive seen them about but the cups that bolt on to the gearbox dont have the same shape pattern in the pictures compaired to the original mk4 ones if that makes sense??

Back to the top
you need late golf cabby drive shafts they come with the 100mm cv joints
then you can get some early mk4 gti gearbox's with 100mm drive shaft flanges if not you can just get a couple and swap them out its really easy one allen key bolt in the middle of it

lot of info here

http://www.brokevw.com/flanges.html

DANBOY.

Back to the top
Nice one. thanks ive sourced a pair of shafts complete on retrofication.com… anyone used them before? seems like a decent site.

ive removed the steering pump and ac unit off the engine and have cut and finished off the bracket so only the alternator is left. ive got the correct size smaller belt too.

i think i read that people change the belt tensioner to a 16v one or something as the original fouls when the engine is installed…. can some one confirm what one i need and what engine i need to get it from? thanks again.

Back to the top
you need a tensioner of a kr 1.8 16v

it will nee to be spacered out I got a machined ali one from aks tunning  ;)

DANBOY.

Back to the top
Nice one dude!
ill have a look on there now.

slowly but surely getting my shopping list together.

do you  run standard clocks in yours? just wondering about the speedo… was mechanical originally, but now ive got the electronic speedo on the mk4 gear box.. did you have a adapter made or just run a digital dash??

Back to the top
You unscrew the electronic part and use a 1.3 speedo cable which screws on direct. 

Back to the top
wow….  :lol:  its as easy is that. haha. brilliant. thanks for that  roach

Back to the top

DANBOY said

you need a tensioner of a kr 1.8 16v

it will nee to be spacered out I got a machined ali one from aks tunning  ;)

Danboy, i went on the AKS website but couldnt find anything do to with a 8mm machined spacer….. :dry:
any idea where it is?

Back to the top
probably best to just give them a call i got mine a few years ago

dan..

DANBOY.

Back to the top
Hi guys.

Got the parts sorted and bolted everything I need on to the AGU engine. Nearly ready for a dry fit but just wanted to know about the modification on the drivers side engine mount. As mine's not a gti i guess the mount needs moving back… is the mount ok to remove and use again? or do you source a donor one and mount into place?  Thanks

Back to the top
Some people remove the small block one, flip it and move it back. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.