Skip navigation

Calibre Retro Stars

Back to the top
So, the Caddy needs a new exhaust, some bits of rust fixing and a dodgy earth sorting so I did what every sensible person does in this situation, and bought a set of new wheels.

They're 15" Retro Stars and I really like them on the Caddy but the front don't quite clear the calipers which is a pain, so I'm looking at either a gentle caressing of the calipers with an angle grinder or some spacers. So the question is… does anyone else run with Retro Stars and how did you get them to fit on the front?

I don't really want massive spacers, but on the other hand I don't really want to be taking chunks out of the calipers…

Back to the top
15 " and still rubbing?  dang small centers on them….I suspect they are shallow…well.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
After lots of measurements, wailing, nashing of teeth and hair pulling, it looks like 10mm spacers will be enough to keep the new wheels away from the calipers.

When spaced out, the inside of the new wheel will be about the same as the old wheels, which will then push the out side of the new wheel further out (old tyres 185s, new 195s) so I may now need to extend the arches slightly… anyone know how much wider GTi plastic arches are?

Anyway, I've also managed to break a 17mm socket and my impact wrench, so I now need to replace them and buy some spacers, new wheel bolts and (probably) some arches, then get the wheels refurbished at some point in the future… so much for a 'cheap' wheel change (they do look good though)

Back to the top
What part of the caliper are they hitting?

Can you not change the calipers?

Back to the top
What calipers have you got for them to hit 15" wheels?
Can you grid some metal off the calipers?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Post pics of the calipers/carriers you're running. Some of the carriers have a big old loop of metal on them that foul certain wheels.

May just be a case of changing carrier.

Back to the top
Sounds like fun mucker.

You could adjust the camber a bit to get the tyre back towards the arch a bit more. Depending on how much room you need.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The calipers are the standard 1.6 Caddy ones and the back of the wheels foul the 'loop' that runs round the outside of the caliper, rather than the top and bottom… t

I haven't got any pictures at the moment (and need to sort out something other than photobucket) but the calipers look a bit like the ones half way down this thread

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=running-gear_2%2Fmy-brakes-rattle

If 4 spacers and 16 new wheel bolts are going to cost over £100, man maths means it may be time for an upgrade if I can find 'thinner' calipers…

*edit* would these fit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-GTI-MK1-1981-1984-Front-Calipers-Brake-discs-Pads-Front-Hoses-Kit/162604590694?fits=Model%3ACaddy&hash=item25dbfd2666:g:zwkAAOSw40pZd247 *edit* looks like I'd be stuck with the old carriers though..?

Last edit: by Blah blah

Back to the top
It's the carrier that's fouling then. 

I think you can use an earlier type carrier with your existing calipers. Maybe rubjonny could advise. 

Back to the top
I am sooooo bored at looking at Mk1 front brakes…. After lots of searching on the internet (I may have read just about every thread on here about brakes as well) and digging out my "Autodata Car Repair Manual, Golf/Jetta from 1974) it appears that the earlier carriers could be the way to go.

So, does anyone have a pair? Or a set of calipers that'll bolt straight on without the loop?

Back to the top
I think it is a Nomenclature thing.

Is the Loop that you are talking about the Caliper Bracket that the pads ride in and the carrier bolts to?

Grinding for clearance is one thing, but the front brakes do 60 percent of the stopping of the car.  They are the number 2 safety feature of the car.  The way you maintain it and drive it are the number one. Seat belts are a distant 3rd.

If you cheapen or fail the maintenance or drive carelessly, no amount of braking is going to stop you meeting new friends by accident.

I never modify the brakes at all….They are designed not to fail…. so if you are modifying them you need to err on the side of caution.

Be SAFER, not smarter….. My 2 cents….
Safer and cheaper to get new rims.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I'm assuming you have what's on the left?

FE7DAD4D-D008-4E8E-BF64-994D12B0D9F4.jpeg

Give Crazyquiff (Richard masters) an email and ask him if he's got some. 

Last edit: by Roach

Back to the top
A picture I've seen a number of times during the past day or so in my search….

Yes, I have the ones on the left so presumably I need the ones on the right (or some Vauxhall ones !), thanks for the heads up about 'crazy quiffs', I've sent him an email, have to see what turns up

Last edit: by Blah blah

Back to the top
Old carriers taken off and new fitted… along with the new(ish) wheels so the problem was with the carriers. Cheers to Sporttrucker for the bits !!

I'll sort some photos out and update my RR thread because the wheels have changed the whole look of the Caddy.

Only problem I have now is that the inside wheel might touch the shocks on full lock (so I'll just have to not do full lock) - problem for the next MoT?

Back to the top
How can the wheel touch the shock/strut when steering, the shock turns with the hub, if it was to touch it would happen all the time???

If the wheel is touching the steering rack arm or lower wishbone then check your steering rack is centralized (same amount of turns from straight ahead to full lock each way as that may solve your problem…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

mark1gls said

How can the wheel touch the shock/strut when steering, the shock turns with the hub, if it was to touch it would happen all the time???
It may have been dark and I might not have had my glasses on when I was looking… :$oops !

anyway, poor picture off my phone, better ones to follow…

Back to the top
It's always hard to tell what's rubbing/hitting unless you have a lift in your garage to get underneath the car when it's sat on it's wheels which most of us don't, it's just scrabbling around on the floor with torches and hands trying to feel what's hitting… pain I know.

Looking good, I do like those wheels.  :thumbs:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.