Skip navigation

Aux drive pulley and belt

Back to the top
Hi everyone.

I was wondering, if anyone knows what could be the item number for the crankshaft pulley for a V-belt drive for my '82 Golf 1.6D, engine code is CR.

Mine looks warped, as you can see from this video:

20171213_195915.mp4

Also, what is the standard lenght belt for this system? Mine appears short and has little engagement on the water pump pulley… Also the alternator sits way lower, than expected, thus denting a metal part of the chassis, because of the short belt,  (cannot explain it) (no photo yet, unfortunately)

Any input will be highly appreciated! :P:P

Back to the top
There is very little engagement on a Water pump pulley, as that is the fact.  

I don't see and issue of concern

As far as the alternator I would need to see how it is sitting statically in the engine compartment.

The engine rocks under accell.  Which could be bad or worn motor mount or a tad adjustment of them.

There are various ways to mount the alternator, so I would have to ask if a/c is installed or not, and if it was a/c was the a/c deleted.

Pictures speak volumes.

Oh, which Alternator, Bosch (2 wires connected on lugs one large and one small blue)
or
Motorola (plug with 3 wires 2 red, one blue or black).

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Briano, my savior!

I will snap a couple of picture of the back of the Alt to identify its model, also will snap a pic of how it's sitting.

I am aware that the motor/gearbox mounts are shot.

The car had no a/c as far as I'm aware. It's the model with little to no extras  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Try this web site for part numbers.

I think you need part No2?
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1982-7/1/105-6000/#2

VW part no. 068 105 255 H

Have you checked that the bolts holding it on are tight or perhaps the surface below the pully drive is dirty/rusty so it's not sitting flat on the surface?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks to both of you guys for the input. The bolts on the v pulley are tight, the pulley itself appears clean, its just twisted. The webpage you sent me is of great help and I found the correct pulley number.

Briano1234  Here are the promised photos:

20180116_205504.jpg 20180116_205449.jpg 20180116_205441.jpg 20180116_205435.jpg

Also, as you may be able to see on the last picture, the upper mount of the alternator sits a bit tilted, as it appears to be missing a washer of some sort, between the mount itself and the alternator. Please advise what can be done in this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Back to the top
I don't think the issue is in your crankshaft pulley.

You have a Motorola style of Alternator that was quite common on this side of the pond in the WESTY built Rabbits, and early Golfs built over here.

The issue that I see is at the pulley of the alternator, and or the bracket.

Seems to me that the Bushing that is on the bracket at the pulley side of the mount is on the backside of your bracket.

The Alternator isn't running true to the crank.
It looks to be sitting in the upper mount at an angle.
Over here on the non a/c equipped engine the alternator pulley sticks out further… Your pulley looks like it is for an a/c equipped.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Interesting. But when I blew up the dash, I found no evidence of the car having an a/c ever.

But what about the dent, that has been done by the lower part of the alternator?

I have a haynes manual that gives me signs that the actual belt should be longer and the alternator sitting higher than it is right now. Has anyone swapped theirs recently? What lenght belt did you get?

Back to the top
Here are the typical mounting brackets for your car.

(i forgot about the mount).

I think yours is mounted incorrectly…. as in isn't in the correct position, and needs to be rotated.

Here is my a/c Bosch alternator… my 81 motorola was mounted similar… Since you don't have York (a/c) wher the alternator mounted under things and the belt bully used shims for tightness.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
from the link

I see this, so if yours is mounted like this with the bracket where I can't see it, then you may be ok, just not what i am used to seeing over here on a 1.5d or 1.6d

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 5.48.32 PM.png

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.