Skip navigation

Convertible hood fitters

Back to the top

Anyone know of any good fitters??

Hi Guys, just ordered the hood and tension cables, just need to get it fitted now!

Does anyone know of any good companies local to TA20 Postcode?? Costs etc

I have a few companies I am waiting to hear back from, I am just keen to find out whether anyone has used anyone in particular that they recommend.

Much appreciated!

function $th_doReturn(a){var b=document.getElementById('$th_texthelpReturnValueID');b!=null&&(b.setAttribute('result',a),a=document.createEvent('Events'),a.initEvent('$th_texthelpReturnEvent',!0,!1),b.dispatchEvent(a))}; function rw_sendSocketMessage(aData){$th_doReturn(aData);};  

Last edit: by samsigns

Back to the top
Your not far from me but I cant recommend anyone as I did mine my self.

Is worth checking your rear window frame, look for any rust etc along the bottom as they are prone to rust, if you can get them or take the metal frame away and clean, check for any surface rust and repaint the frame to protect it as they are silly money for a new frame!

You can only do this when replacing the roof so it could be another 7+ years before anyone gets a good look at the window frame.

If your roof looks lumpy then repair/replace the hood bag (padding underneath the hood) and if you do want to replace the inner headliner as again you can only do this when the hood is off.

Just things you might want to look at or consider before having a new roof fitted.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Oh nice, where about are you?

Out of curiosity how tricky was it to fit yourself?I am tempted to do this, but I want to make sure I get it right and don't mess it up! 

Thank you for the heads up, I will make sure I am able to take the frame away to clean it all, it looks okay but I would like to see whether there is anything hidden!Plus it makes sense to clean and re-paint to ensure it lasts as long as it can as you say!

Know where I can get hold of the padding?I have noticed a few lumps so I would like to get that sorted!  

Back to the top
I'm about 10 miles north of Yeovil, It's normal to have a few lumps and bumps as the pad is placed over a metal frame.

I think you can get the pads on ebay?

Link to replacing the roof your self.

Cabriolet Hood Replacement - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Are you fitting a Mohair roof or vinyl?

I've only ever done a vinyl roof.

The problem with doing it your self is you do need some high heat glue, a electric stapler or very good quality hand stapler, stainless steel staples and the replacement foam gaskets which the metal runners that hold the seals in and some windscreen sealer.

It's not to tricky to do it your self but it's best done on a warm weekend or in a heated garage as you do need to try a stretch the roof to get a good finish.

The 1st time I changed my roof it was ok but I did make a couple of mistakes on the fitting of the sides so the 2nd time I changed the roof I made sure I did it right.

I do now have a small leak on the rear window and on the front handles which I need to cure but my car is a daily and lives outside so I need some nice weather to try and fix the problem, the advantage of taking it to a fitters as they can fix any problems which pop up.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Not sure if he's near enough to you but whatever you really should talk to Carl chortle as he supplies, restores and fits Cabby roofs. 👍🏼

He's one of the best around and with Carl and the very good points Mark mentioned above you should be able to get it sorted.

Once done properly it will last for years with the right maintenance! 😉 👍🏼

Sent from my Smartphone 📱

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
You could try Chorle for a pad, he is about 200 miles up north from Somerset in Derbyshire, he may be able to ship one down or you could take a 7 hour drive to pick one up.  :lol:

Might be worth PM him as he will be able to give you advice etc as I think he does it for a job, as I said I've only ever done it twice and only on my own car.

Back to the top
I too recommend Chortle, I too do roof replacements but I think it is a fur piece of a drive, or towing.

Oh, did I mention that I live across the pond, before you ask where I live?

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
When i got my cab a few years ago it already had a new hood fitted. This seemed to be a good job and has not given any cause for concern over the last few years. Looking at the receipts it was fitted by LA and RM Piper (www.pipertrimmers.co.uk) who happen to be located in Sparkford which i think it reasonably close to you?

REceipt is dated 2015 and for removal and replacement of hood with everflex (plus rear cable replacement) total cost was just under £500.

Hope this helps
Andy

Back to the top
That's not far from me, good to know of a place that re trims cars, looking at there work they have worked on some very nice cars…

If heading that way you are not far from the Haynes Motor Museum, well worth a visit and great cafe, you could make a day of it while you get a new roof fitted?

http://haynesmotormuseum.com

Back to the top
Thanks for all your messages guys! Sorry for the delayed response! I've emailed a few local companies to see what type of prices they offer (ranges from £200/300) the closer the better as it doesn't have an mot yet and isn't quite ready for one 🙄 

I like the idea of going to the Haynes museum at the same time!! 

Nice to hear of some people local to me with Mk1 golfs !! 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.