Skip navigation

Silly question but just wondered

Back to the top
window rubber perishing on my cab .
Do I just replace the one or do the lot?
im not handy like most of you guys. Thanks-and do remember to polite,
best , Mikey 

Back to the top
which rubber exactly and sure not just the window seal.. mark carter, funkstar on here does the window seal as set of 4. rubber on roof frame are expensive when new ,  they are now available from most big VW shops, crazyquiff,heritage and marks classic vw.

Send pic and someone nice will help. :thumbs:

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
thanks Kenneth–I think its called a scraper–vw heritage don't do them so have tracked them down at crazy quiffs
first time ive looked after a classic and I don't–like all you guys–want it going downhill

Back to the top
Do be very careful about removing the old because they're held in by 4 or 5 metal spring clips which can easily pop off and drop down inside the door.

Which would mean taking the door panel off and trying to locate the little büggers at the bottom of the door!

You will need them and again be careful during the refit.
You may be able to get new ones but check with Mark at Crazy Quiffs on that.

The job itself is very straightforward but just take your time and whatever you do don't bend them because you won't get any kinks out once they're there!

Any questions just ask. 😉👍🏼

Sent from my Smartphone ☃️

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Really appreciate your reply
Mike
Will take it all on board

Back to the top
The scrapers are really just cosmetic and reduces the amount of water running into the door. It's normal to have some water drip down the glass into the door and as long as the drain holes at the bottom of the door are clear the water will just run out.
You can clear out the drain holes with a bit of wire or I use a cable tie as they won't damage the paint around the hole.
If you are getting water into the car the plastic membrane behind the door card could be damaged or worse case missing.
If you are replacing them go carefully levering them out as it's a bit of a faff replacing the metal clips in the doors which hold the scrapers in place.

If you are new to Mk1 Golf cabriolets the thing I keep an eye on is the fuel filler neck and regular clean the wheel arch as it's a great mud trap on top of the filler neck and that's why they rust and water gets into the fuel system.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for that advice. I knew the filler neck can be a problem but was unaware of the cause.

Back to the top
Cabriolet filler necks are silly money compared to tin top car, £80+ for cabriolet and £25 for tin top cars, you can get tin top ones to fit but involves cutting a section out and rewelding the end back on so it's worth looking after what's fitted if you can.

If you need to know anything else etc please just ask, there's no such thing as a silly question.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Appreciate your help.

Back to the top

cabriolet said

window rubber perishing on my cab .
Do I just replace the one or do the lot?
im not handy like most of you guys. Thanks-and do remember to polite,
best , Mikey 

from the archive section a list of how-to's by briano.

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/108497-Installing-your-new-outer-Scrapers-Kit

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

mark1gls said

If you need to know anything else etc please just ask, there's no such thing as a silly question.  :thumbs:

I beg to differ.  
The silly question is the one you don't ask, and spend 3 days trying to determine what is wrong…. You ask the "silly" question in the forum, and you get the response back that resolves it in 30 minutes.

A lot of the silly Cabriolet ones are here….
View topic: My DIY list of things for a 90ish Cabriolet (digifant2) part 1 - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
It would be silly not to pick the brains of people who have done it.
I needed a new speedo on mine and not being technical  I nearly gave up on my cab.
Found one from eBay but since joining the club feel very much more confident that
A the parts exist to keep my car going
B the love and knowledge you guys have for your cars and are prepared to share are impressive.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.