Skip navigation

Rear wiper and washer problems

Back to the top

Both work independently, but connecting both together stops both

My rear washer stopped working, so I took the motor out and cleaned it and tested it and when it worked fine.  When plugged in to the loom it worked and so did the rear wiper, but once put back in the  bottle and connected to the washer pipe it stops working and when it does so does the rear wiper.

Confused!

I checked the washer pipe wasn't blocked and I can blow through it.  So is the pump working when under no load but not got enough power to push water through the pipe?  Also why would this stop the rear wiper working?
Is the washer motor drawing too much power?

I'm lost so any suggestions would be great.  Thanks.

Back to the top
Check your grounds to the motor and to the washer pump.

Clean or replace them both to the frame of the car at the rear.

Pumps do go bad, as they get older and a weak pump can push fluids when bench test, but fail on the long run to the nozzle.
I just had a similar thing happen to my front squirter….new pump resolved the issue.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
take the lower trim off the stalks, look at the base of the wiper stalk for the metal contacts. push and pull the stalk, note how they work. buff the contact points till shiny, and if necessary bend them slightly to make stronger contact

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

take the lower trim off the stalks, look at the base of the wiper stalk for the metal contacts. push and pull the stalk, note how they work. buff the contact points till shiny, and if necessary bend them slightly to make stronger contact

Thought I would add a picture,,,, as I have had bendy issues with the stalks but then again I have only had front wipers.

I would usually just turn the key on, and with a screw driver (tiny) bend adjust it until they started squirting).

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the above.  I think the connections are fine as when it isn't connected to the washer pipe it works fine.

So as suggested above I have ordered a new pump and will report back on that.

Back to the top
Success!

Even though the washer motor worked fine under load it obviously didn't have enough in it to pump the water all the way around but a new pump solved the problem.

So new pump GSF for £8 was the saviour.

Thanks all.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.