Skip navigation

Polishing aluminium

Back to the top
I currently have my BBS RM's split down and in the midst of polishing them up. Ive wet and dried them from 240 grit upto 1200. They still have some tiny small chips in them that i cant get out for any amount of sanding so i went ahead and started buffing them up.

They look amazing compared to how they were before but my problem is.

1. I cant get the stitched polishing mop down into the bottom of the lip ie where the valve sits so i have half a polished lip. The one im using is a 4"x1" but even a 3" would struggle.

2. Two of the rims have come up between polished and mirrored. I think they could be even better. The 3rd is struggling to be as mirrored. Do i need to use a new mop or clean it once its got blackened??

Its my first time using the metal polishing kits and watched loads of videos online and they make it look easy. Mines just not quite that super mirrored.

Any advice would be brilliant

Back to the top
When I am polishing metal, the pad (sponge) can get filled with metal particles which is the black oxidation that  you are seeing on the pad.  It is usually water soluble so that between polishes I clean it with warm soapy water to remove the oxidation on the pad.

Brasso and the like are petroleum based and have to be cleaned with a thinner or kerosene, whereas some of the cream products ie: Clear Coat Polish, Mothers Mag Polish are water based, so read the instructions on how to remove the product…..

I have also found that using a spray bottle of water to keep the pad and work area moist helps a lot while I am wet sanding or polishing, and tends to flush the particulates out as I am polishing.

Using this trick on clear coat polish of vertical panels makes it easy to wet sand areas, as well as clear coat cleaning.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply Briano. Yes maybe i have let it get too dirty and clogged up without washing it off and not it is too gunked up to really be effective.

I have ordered another one off the internet and hopefully that will do the trick, plus its 3" not 4 so might get in the better spots.

Ive heard alot of little and often with the compound. I guess alot is practice. So far they look great but that extra 10% would make them look amazing. I think im going to wet and dry again from the start and make sure i have a perfect prep before i polish. Ive ordered wet and dry sheet 80 240 300 400 600 800 1000 1200 1500 2000 to make sure!! Lol. I even think the lapping machine at work has some 2500 and 4000 grit.

Que the pics in the near future if i master photobucket

Back to the top
I found a 3000 grit wet/dry on a spongy back sheet. I loved it....

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Polishing aluminium

What grit was the finest you used ? Also what color compound are you using?sny pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.