Skip navigation

Speaker Wiring...????

Back to the top
Has anyone replaced the original speaker cables… If so how hard a job is it please?

I am just about to replace all 4 original speakers in my 88 Cabriolet as 2 rears have fallen apart and one front works. I think its also the wiring and am keen to replace new speakers with new wiring along side the new head unit. All NEW…!

Thanks as always.

Back to the top
I have replaced all my speakers on my 92, and 93 Cabbies.  I have used the original wiring which is sufficient for me.

Running new wires to the doors isn't hard, the worst part is running them through the dust grommet from the "a" pillar to the cabin.

If I was going to do it I would solder and heat shrink the new wires in the one that reside on the door, and pull them through that way possibly using a lube like ky-jelly, as it is water based and will eventually evaporate. This way you don't have to remove the grommet.  :)

For the rears they ran the wires through or under the carpet on the edges of the door then up through the carpet into the quarter panels then over under the carpet under the seat to the other side.  You could run them separately as that way you won't get hysteresis effect from the left side to the right side.  

Me, I soldered new connectors to the existing wiring, as my ears can't tell.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Speaker Wiring...????

Thank you, doesn't sound a massive task. Next weekend is now booked..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I swapped the speakers on my '87 Cabrio. The rears had disintegrated too. There is a thread but photobucket links don't work any more so it not much use…..

I kept the original wiring, there's not much that can go wrong with it?

Replacement speakers came with normal small/large male connectors (think most do) not the VW style connectors. I could have simply cut the VW connector off the speaker wires and crimped or soldered new normal female connectors but instead used some patch leads.

After a couple of false starts I used these (the one sold as VW don't fit?!?). Can't remember if both front and rear used this connector or just one set.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-802-Subaru-Suzuki-Speaker-Adaptor-Lead-Cable-Stereo-/160548580938?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item256170ee4a

I used Alpine speakers and the brackets needed a bit of fettling to get to fit

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.