Skip navigation

Tank inspection

Back to the top

Tank inspection

Hi all,thinking of checking inside the tank, under rear seat I take the 3 retaining screws out of the tank inspection door and there's a big plastic nut type thing what seems solid to move,fuel line connectors and electrical plug, can anyone tell me how to remove these please 

Back to the top
Carefully! But also fairly Burtally!

It turns anti clockwise to undo it.

Remove the sensor plug first.

As you want to get out the fuel sender you'll need to take off the furl lines to. Ones the supply and ones the return. Mark the pipes and the unit so they go back the right way around or you won't ever run again!!

Now there's a few ways of getting it off. It's been there a long time and the tank might be a bit rusty, the rubber O-ring has probably stuck to stuff and the plastics gone brittle with time and exposure to fuel.

Be careful

You can either try and find a square or round bar (I have a pry bar thats square in profile) and put it across the gaps in the plastic and twist.

Or you can use a BLUNT chisel or blunt wide bladed flat screw driver and give it a few taps to release it and turn it.

DON'T use the pipe stubs to try and turn it. If they break you're up a certain creek without a paddle!
I couldn't find new ones and second hand are over £100.

Good Luck

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks pal

Back to the top
Spraying around the thing with WD-40 or a penetrating oil and allow it to creep for a bit 20 minutes or so as that may work its way to the o-ring and loosen it.  Be sure to brush away any road grime off the top of the tank as you don't want it to fall in to it.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I`d make sure you have a new seal to hand first too

Back to the top
Using a blunted screwdriver Taped or clothed to prevent sparking to knock the lock loose.

You should remove the ground off the battery first.
You should remove the Gas cap.
You should have 3/4 to 1/2 tank of petrol otherwise spillage will occur.
No open flames or sparking tools (that's a given).
You should spray wd-40 or the like around the perimeter of the sender so it can creep under the seal.

The locked position.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
When going back be mindful of the float and arm, as well as the screen.  I usually tie my screen on with a 3-4 foot piece of string, then as I have it in the tank, I clip the string and pull it out gently.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.