Skip navigation

1.6 EG New Hall Sensor Suppliers?

Back to the top
I believe this is worthy of its own topic, so here we go…

Having hopefully traced the cutting out problem on my 81 GLi to the hall sensor, i am currently trying to source a new replacement.

I ordered last week this part from VW Heritage, which apart from being a pattern part, looked spot on:
https://www.vwheritage.com/035998065-hall-impulse-sender-mk1-golf-scirocco-t25-dj

The part that arrived looks like this, with the later square clip on type plug, so the wrong type.
DSC_9794 by Mathew Richardson, on Flickr
Having contacted VW Heritage, i have been told that the part pictured on the website has been superseded, and replaced with the part using the late type connector, which is what they have sent me.

My car uses the early type, as so:

DSC_9800 by Mathew Richardson, on Flickr

The obvious solution is to change the plug, however i wouldn't mind keeping the original type on a car thats fairly original mechanically, as i do intent to strip and detail the engine bay back to looking original at some point.

I can't be the first person to have had this problem, any suggestions/sources for a new part? I am loathed to source a second hand part as they are all 30+ years old now.

Back to the top
Personally if it were me, I would get a new plug and splice it in past the vinyl shielding….up in the shielding, just stagger the splices (heat shrink and Solder).  This way the thing is hidden and looks more OEM.
It then would be a better future investment if you ever had to replace it again.

I have had issues because like you I am a OEM type as well.  But on issues of replacement parts and the like I have had to swap connectors.

I had that same part break on one of my cars, besides having to get it towed, I had to replace the Dizzy with a spare that I had.  Fortunately for me the Diz was out of a 89 to go into my 92…. But I had to replace the Coil, as well as the ICM as they both got fried when the Connector broke and shorted out to frame.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
you can de-pin the old plug and fit the new connector without having to splice anything, or just change the ignition loom complete for later mk1/2 version. then you can actually drive the car, which is better than having it look oem but not running :P

then just keep an eye open for NOS or good used parts

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Indeed i figured that was the case! I will get a plug and splice it in, i can keep the original plug at least in case i want to swap back one day.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.