Skip navigation

Speedo jumping & displaying 10mph to fast

Back to the top
Hi,My speedo needle will jump around at low speeds say 10mph any faster it then stays still with a little flicker now and again put reads 10mph faster than I am actually doing e.g. doing 50mph but the speedo is showing 60mph. Any ideas?Thanks 

Back to the top
Did you not just change your gearbox?
What colour cog do you have on the speedo cable?
You might need to change the cog for a different coloured one.

I change my gearbox and the speed was reading 10 mph over and I had to change from a red cog to a white one.

VW always seem to over read by 5 mph as mine did before I changed my gearbox and still over reads by 4 to 5 mph now.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
No I only changed the gear select lever. Not sure what colour the cog is, I will look into it, cheers for your help

Back to the top
If you take the speedo cable out of the gearbox do it very carefully as you don't want the cog to fall off into the gearbox as it's not easy to get it out.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Back to the top
if its jumping about that would be cable or clocks rather than incorrect gear. but check the code on the box and the gear colour anyway while you're there

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

Back to the top
Did you fix this issue? If so what sorted it out?Mine is doing exactly the same ☹️

Back to the top

KSD said

Did you fix this issue? If so what sorted it out?Mine is doing exactly the same ☹️

No but I will be looking into it this summer so will report back

Back to the top
I would jack the Car on both sides.
Tranny in reverse.
Ebrake full on.

As you are trying to remove your gear slightly rotate your tires back and forth, this will usually allow the Gear to release its grip on the teeth of the drive gears, and usually allows it to come out easier, (you have to loosen the cable and the gear cover bolt to allow the gear to float a bit.) It is this floating that makes your job easier.

If it is still difficult, leave it be.

Did this just start, or has it been going on.
A flaky inner cable can separate and a wire can snap and splay inside the sheath.  it will unwind then break again and the needle does its own thing.

I would change the cable first before tearing in to anything else.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Speedo jumping & displaying 10mph to fast

Thanks for the detailed help. I cant remember if it was doing it when I got the car. But it's always done it when I put the car back together after stripping to a bare shell to restore it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.