Skip navigation

Change Coolant

Back to the top

From water to waterless

Hi can anyone advise how you go about changing your coolant from water to waterless?
I have a 1992 Rivage and am always having to top the water up as it seems to heat up very quick.

Cheers,

Back to the top
It isn't going to assist you in changing over the coolant till you fix the leaks.

On a 92 the leaks are usually in a few areas that I have found.

The front (grille) side ofthe head the plastic water outlet flange that breaks at the ears, and drips towards either the dipstick or by the Dizzy.

The rear of the head water outlet flange

The heater valve or pipes to the heater matrix, as well as the heater matrix itself.

The Heater valve.

The plastic Butt-to-butt hose connector from the by-pass line to the lower heater matrix hose.

The water pump weep hole (it is on top) of the waterpump spindle and obscured from view by the pulley

The t-stat cover they warp and leak, or crack by the mounting ears and leak.  The t-stat usually leaves a tell-tale drip on the ground.

A lot of the leaks from the outlets are small and on a hot engine you won't see them as they steam off rather quickly.

As well as the plastic radiator, the Expansion jug.

To find out where it is leaking you can use a pencil UV torch, to check all the areas for floresing as the older Green Coolant will Shine out the residuals under a UV light.

How to flush your radiator.
How-to-flush-your radiator | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

How I change water pumps.
How I change out my Water Pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

How to BEEF UP your water heater valve
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/91714-Those-Plastic-Heater-Valves.....?p=644178#post644178

Why I hate Plastic Parts.
I still hate plastic parts, but thanks Tolusina. | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

It also shows you how to convert your Digifant from plastic flanges to Metal ones.  How-ever the t-stat cover is no longer avail new from GAP so you would have to source it at a Breakers.

How to Trim your Radiator Fan Shroud to make it easier to remove and install.
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/32213-Triming-your-Radiator-Shroud

With all that said you can buy a Radiator test kit, basically a radiator Cap with a Tire valve or hose connection. With that cap installed you apply 14psi of air to your system and see where the radiator fluid flow out. (radiator repair shops can test this for you as well, then you know where it is leaking…

Changing over to waterless isn't going to help until you control the weak points.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
This sounds daunting are they easy repairs that you can do your self? the water is brown and desperately needs flushing.

Cheers,

Back to the top
As Briano say's pointless going waterless if you have leaks.

I did my water the other day as I had a leak and lost all coolant.
Ive replaced the heater matrix as that was leaking and just about all the hoses.
You need to remember some of the hoses are really old and will have degraded somewhat.
Check for leaks as described. Once you've cured the leak then consider.
I did the old trick of draining coolant, refilled with clean water added a cup of Bio wash powder into the expansion tank and ran it nice and warm.
leave the cap off. When the water is ditched, drain and refill fresh water I did this about 4 times till the water was clear and no sign of soap. Then drained last time. Then refilled with new coolant, then bled the system and you're good to go.
I think B and B componenets do a full hose set on Ebay?
I'd take off the upper and lower rad hoses off and get your hose in there and give it a damn good wash out.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
water less doesn't mean fluid less.
It's still a fluid like glycol so will still leak out and from what I've read doesn't make much difference except for some are  highly flammable and are banned on some Race Circuits in the USA.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Brown coolant is very bad, CHANGE IT NOW!

This is why it's heating up quickly and you will start to get rust issues in the water ways.

Drain, flush and refill the system. A new thermostat will also be a good idea.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/blue-antifreeze/?523770501&0&cc5_865

£7.99 (with discount crazy70) for ready mixed coolant, 5l is plenty, need to changed every 2 years to keep the best protection .

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.