Skip navigation

Water in driver footwell coming from fire wall

Back to the top
As in title it's coming in through the double skinned fire wall which would suggest the leak is in the skuttle area but can't see anything. Please advise?

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits 

Back to the top
Water in the cabin. makes me think it is possibly caused by plugged rain drains in the rain tray.

There is a plate if you don't have a/c that is subject to water leaks as the seal on it can become dead.

Grommets get old cracked and leak.

VW ran the windshield washer hose up through the rain tray that is an obstruction and can allow stuff to pile up to clog the drain.

VW originally didn't have a Debris guard on the hood vents that allowed leaves and things to plug then up as well.

If you don't have a rain diverter then water can fall through the hood vents and pool.  Usually around the heater vents.

On a 90 Cabriolet water can drip on to the window controller if it is allowed to pool.

How can you see where the leaks are.
Sprinkle the area with Flour, White Tempra paint powder,  
The close the hood and run a hose in the hood vents….
Once you have done this, then from inside the car you can see the white streaks using a uv light helps as well.

The Windshield seal can rust and leak, as well as the wiper arms.

How do you "fix" it.

1. make a debris guard, or find one in a Breaker lot. I have a how to in the archive section.

Factory optional debri guard

2. Clean your rain drains one in the rain tray near the strut tower.

plugged drain and the a/c fresh air plenum removed, on non-a/c there is usually a plate over this hole.

Clean drain with the hoses run through a grommet in the raintray instead of the rain drain.

3. Remove the plate over the fresh air inlet (non-a/c) cars or the Fresh air plenum (a/c) equipped cars and reseal it with ne foam

4. If you don't have a rain diverter, get one, or make one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK1-Golf-Rabbit-Caddy-Jetta-Rain-Tray-Scuttle-Cover-NEW-NOS-/172184807963

I have plenty of where is my car leaking from DIY's all linked in the Archive section, yes quite a few are for Cabriolets (why because that is what I drive.) but most are still applicable to the mk1.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Brilliant, thank you. Your a legend

Back to the top
It's going in between the 2 skins of the fire wall if that helps further!

Back to the top
A photo would be nice as I being a American, who is Left-Handed, Red Haired of Irish distraction doesn't quite comprehend.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
At paint shop so will take some pictures when it comes back.

Back to the top
Thinking of getting these, there a 7.5j so would a set of 165 50 15s look good with a bit of spacing?? Any advice is good??/

Back to the top
Hi sallyandsean, i had same problem with water getting in through the fire wall, i used some silver foil sheet with tar on other side, i just cut to size and various shapes, then i heated them up with wifes hair drier on very hot, (she still doesnt know), the tar melts and becomes waterproof when set, its good stuff, ifyou want i can send you some
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.