Skip navigation

Front suspension spring lengths / height and diameters HELP

Back to the top
Hi
I have a 1992 mk1 Caddy sport pick up 1.8 JH engine as per my picture (boo… a caddy pick up I hear you say), these came out the factory lowered compared to the standard caddys. (leaf springs on the rear!) I am struggling to determine what front springs I should be using as one has snapped. The ones that are currently on were put on by a garage a few years back to help me pass an MOT after saving the running gear from it previous owners lack of attention, they put on standard height springs which had to cut down to get the ride height looking correct. (I know don't cut springs but it was a time thing!) Any way I am guessing it must have been originally fitted with golf tin top or cabriolet GTI springs as they were lower as standard (20mm lower than standard maybe ?)

So on to my questions.

1) Is there a difference in diameter / size between the early Mk1 springs say 74 to 83ish and the later (cabriolet and caddy only) springs up to 92 as all the websites shows these as different options when looking at springs and I don't want to end up with the wrong diameter for example?

2) What's the length and diameter of a standard Golf and or GTI spring that you have off the car and can measure for me to compare against the good cut spring that I have, which is 370mm long and 140mm dia to help me understand what is for sale as they only sell them by lowering drop i.e.40mm not length?

3) Any advice on where / what the best front springs to get are?

Thanks in advance

P.S. sorry for filling your beautiful Golf forum with dirty caddy pick up talk  

Back to the top
The pn for your year is 161411105E for the spring.
they also list 161411105E 952

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/schraubenfeder-0d728a.html

From their site, they list these as additional models.

Caddy 1 (10/82 - 07/92)
Golf 1 Cabriolet (08/83 - 07/93)
Jetta 1 (08/78 - 07/80)
Jetta 1 (08/80 - 07/81)
Jetta 1 (08/81 - 02/84)
Rabbit (09/82 - 07/84)
Scirocco (08/83 - 07/92)

If yours is truely lowered then you may want to consider coil over struts ie: Bilstiens, or the like.

If the spring on one side is shot, then chances are the other side isn't that far off either. If they used a used part, then chances are that is was iffy to begin with.

Years ago, on my MG Midget it had half springs on the rear, that broke, I found them in the wreckers (breakers) paid 40 dollars each.  Changed them, and they lasted about 4 months.  Finally broke down and went to the dealer, and brandy new ones were only 35 dollars…. Dam its…..

The Caddy over here did have Leaf springs installed as the additional load of the bed (cargo) required it.

Rear ETKA link below
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/CA/year/1992/drive_standart/43/hg_ug/501/subcategory/47000/part_id/3705862/lang/e

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
So can anyone answer my questions ?

1) Is there a difference in diameter / size between the early Mk1 springs say 74 to 83ish and the later (cabriolet and caddy only) springs up to 92 as all the websites shows these as different options when looking at springs and I don't want to end up with the wrong diameter for example?

2) What's the length and diameter of a standard Golf and or GTI spring that you have off the car and can measure for me to compare against the good cut spring that I have, which is 370mm long and 140mm dia to help me understand what is for sale as they only sell them by lowering drop i.e.40mm not length?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.