Skip navigation

front left side flexi brake hose replacement help

Back to the top
Hello guys , had a bit of a nightmare with the gti, basically I felt the brakes being a little soft when stopping, I have looked and I have a pin hole in my flexi brake hose, does anyone have a step by step to replace this or and tips and advice to remove and install all help appreciated in advance many thanks

Back to the top
Main thing that I would watch for if its not been disturbed for years is the nut between the solid metal line to the flexi. They have an habit of seizing and twisting the metal brake line.

Cut the flexi that you are replacing and unscrew it from the stationary nut. Use a proper brake line spanner to hold the nut. Then use some heat on the nut to free it from the metal pipe if required.

Check the bleed nipples are free and don't shear off……..

Poss also do the other side, it may be on its way out too. 

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Thanks mate I will get some heat on it and hopefully loosen it up, and lots of WD-40, would I need to remove the caliper or could I fit it with removing the caliper, reason for removing caliper is so the pipe can be taken of and put back on easily.

Back to the top
What I have had to do in the past is to take a wire (brass) wheel on my Drill and grind the corrosion off of it….I shoot the thing with PB-Blaster and let it work for a few minutes… with two proper Brake line wrenches I usually have no issues…. I haven't had to cut one off yet doing it this way….. Also if you wire brush the sprayed connector it will heat it up a wee bit so the spray works it way up a bit more.  

I only remove the lines from the caliper if I have to, and usually I have never had to take the caliper off…. Just be mindful of the dripping fluid and your pads, if your pads are good, then you want to remove the caliper and the pads at least.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
You don't have to remove the caliper, but if its easier for you I don't see why not. When refitting flexi, screw into caliper 1st, then fit into clip at solid line end and screw the nut onto the flexi.

If the nut has welded itself to the metal solid line, you could screw flexi into the solid line and then with the caliper removed screw caliper into flexi making sure the flexi is not twisted when the calper is put back. It will all make sense when you have it all in bits and you are on your knees praying to the VW sky fairy.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Lol thanks guys hopefully do this first thing in morning defo will be praying lol , thanks again will let you know how I get on
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.